• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer spell replacement feat?

I thought I read a feat somewhere in a Dragon or online or in a supplement somewhere(?) that, if selected, would allow a sorcerer to cast a 'forgotten' spell once it was forgotten but at the expense of using a spell slot one level higher.

Can someone please help me locate the feat for my DM (and my sanity)? A link or copy would be cool too.

Thanks sooo much.

Voadam

Legend
loviatarfrostbringer said:
I thought I read a feat somewhere in a Dragon or online or in a supplement somewhere(?) that, if selected, would allow a sorcerer to cast a 'forgotten' spell once it was forgotten but at the expense of using a spell slot one level higher.

Can someone please help me locate the feat for my DM (and my sanity)? A link or copy would be cool too.

Thanks sooo much.

By forgotten do you mean ones that are swapped out? A sorcerer can always cast a spell they know with higher level slots.

Doesn't a feat exist in T&B allowing a full extra normal spell to be learned?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Voadam said:
Doesn't a feat exist in T&B allowing a full extra normal spell to be learned?

Yes. It's named Extra Spell. The spell can't be from your highest level.

There's also an epic feat that gives you two new spells known, and they can be of any level.

If I understand correctly what loviatarfrostbringer (is that loviatar junior, whith auril as aunt? Or have loviatar and auril married in some other plane and taken a surrogate father? :D) said, That feat wold be out of line. It would effectively give you 9 additional known spells by reaching level 20. Never mind the higher spell slot. You'd have an additional spell of levels 0 through 8. It sounds "quinty"

<<<If I understand correctly what loviatarfrostbringer (is that loviatar junior, whith auril as aunt? Or have loviatar and auril married in some other plane and taken a surrogate father? :D) said, That feat wold be out of line. It would effectively give you 9 additional known spells by reaching level 20. Never mind the higher spell slot. You'd have an additional spell of levels 0 through 8. It sounds "quinty">>>

I found the feat...or at least the one I was thinking about. It was at the WotC site in the Psychic Potpourri article...and it was for psions and NOT sorcerers.

My apologies for the mix up.

However, I see no reason why there couldn't be a feat like it for sorcerers. I understand it would give them 8 extra spells known (0 thru 7 saying that you don't reach epic 10th level spell slots or higher) but one of the most recent Dragons had bloodlines (which cost you 1 feat and gave you 9 spells instantly [upon reaching the level able to cast that level spell] in addition to your regular selection + forget ability). I grant you that the feat did remove some few spells (the oppositition spells) from your spell list entirely but they were gratis all the same. Maybe if the forgotten spell was cast at +1 level (for what spell slot it used up when cast)...I don't know.

I'm not too sure I understand the "quinty" reference, but I assume it means the "Quintessential" series of handbooks. And while I agree they are sometimes a tad over the top, I like them for reference material. *No flames needed, just expressing my viewpoint*

I'm not trying to drag this post in to the House Rules forum, but it would do well there too. Sorry if the post isn't strict D&D rules.

Thanks for your views and help once again.

loviatarfrostbringer
(it is a character of mine b4 forgotten realms even was released in its firstbox set - based the name off of the Finnish goddess from Dieties & Demigods)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
*No flames needed, just expressing my viewpoint*

WHAT? YOU WISH, YOU BLOODY BA.... Just joking ;)

And you're right, I was referring to the quintessentials, who are over the top with several of their things (and the rest of what I saw of one of them wasn't to my liking, so I just ignore the whole series).

Personally, I wouldn't like such a feat, or the dragon bloodline feats. Sooner or later we end up with the sorcerer having as much spells as your average wizard. That would be scary.

loviatarfrostbringer
(it is a character of mine b4 forgotten realms even was released in its firstbox set - based the name off of the Finnish goddess from Dieties & Demigods)

Right. I forgot that the realms "borrow" several deities from various real-world pantheons. Is the "finnish" Loviatar an ice goddess, or was that your design?
I remember when I played Baldur's Gate for the xth time - It was before I had any real D&D or FR experience, and I played a rogue. And I had such a cool name figured out all by myself. I named the guy Talos. Well when, later in the storyline, someone told me that I just earned the enmity of Talos the Destroyer (or something like that, in any case they called the Storm Lord by name), I realized just how I got to that name again (unconscious memory *again*)

Remove ads