• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer Spells with a Theme

malien

First Post
I was trying to build a sorcerer, and I came to the idea... shouldn't they have some sort of theme for spells? I mean, maybe you focus all on elemental magic, or you use only shadowy things... stuff like that.

Anyone else do this? Any groups you've put together? Reading through spell lists in D&D and trying to find a nice unifying concept for a sorcerer's spells feels pretty daunting. But I loathe the idea of just picking some random 'cool' spells.

moritheil

First Post
malien said:
I was trying to build a sorcerer, and I came to the idea... shouldn't they have some sort of theme for spells? I mean, maybe you focus all on elemental magic, or you use only shadowy things... stuff like that.

Anyone else do this? Any groups you've put together? Reading through spell lists in D&D and trying to find a nice unifying concept for a sorcerer's spells feels pretty daunting. But I loathe the idea of just picking some random 'cool' spells.

Sure, go for elemental spells and then go elemental savant.

I love your sig, btw.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I use arcane bloodlines for my alternate bloodline sorcerer but you can use some of these lists as a guide for a potential themed-sorcerer I supppose. Some of the bloodlines have a few druid or cleric spells (celestial and fiendish for example use some cleric spells) in them so they wouldn't make a good theme for your typical sorcerer since they can't access those spells, but some of the other bloodlines would work well.

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
malien said:

Although that's a great concept (and, in fact, something I myself strive to do with all of my spellcasting characters), it's not a good idea to force someone to do. Picking all spells with a theme sounds cool, but it makes you suck as a caster, when you get down to it. After all, if you're only choosing elemental spells, chances are you're gonna end up with primarily offensive spells (since most defensive spells have nothing to do with elements), and although it's good to have offensive spells, considering how limited Sorcerers already are, having nothing but offensive spells hurts you more than anything else. Who cares if Bob the Sorcerer can blast you twelve different ways? Joe the Sorcerer can only blast you with a Fireball, but he's got Mage Armor, Shield, Invisibility, and Dimension Door. That's a bit of a stretch, but you get what I mean.

I think a better solution isn't to limit a Sorcerer's choices- or even influence them at all. I think if you choose a theme (such as Shadowy, Elemental, Animals, whatever), then go ahead and choose whatever spells you want, but have the visible effects (that is, the flavor text) reflect your focus. In fact, in all of my campaigns, we give Sorcerers the Spell Thematics feat (from the Player's Guide to Faerun) for free around 3rd level, since we feel that since all Sorcerers get their power from themselves, every Sorcerer's magic should have a distinct, unique look to it. (And we give it to them at a later level rather than first because often, in my experience, most players don't know exactly what kind of a theme they want until they've played the character for a while.)

Although it seems crappy, sometimes, in order to play an effective (or even fun) character, you simply have to pick whatever spells are "cool". In my opinion, it's much cooler to have seven effective spells of completely different types than to have seven similar spells that have mostly the same effect. This case is especially prevalent when you're only ever going to have seven spells- you've gotta choose those seven spells pretty darn carefully.

Just my two electrum.

sukael

First Post
I tend to do things like this with pseudo-permanently-metamagic'd spells, if the DM allows them.

For example, my druid character (see the Rogue's Gallery link in my sig) has electrical sphere instead of flaming sphere.

Crothian

First Post
I like the idea since it gives the class some flavor which is sorely needs. It also makes them different from each other another problem with the class

There are some feats in the scared lands that do this

JimAde

First Post
sukael said:
I tend to do things like this with pseudo-permanently-metamagic'd spells, if the DM allows them.

For example, my druid character (see the Rogue's Gallery link in my sig) has electrical sphere instead of flaming sphere.
I do the same with my NPC sorcerers. Right now my PCs are messing with a cold-themed Dwarf sorcerer who casts "Iceball" and "Ray of Ice". I'd let a PC do this as well, if asked.

the Lorax

First Post
malien said:

Yeah, IMC Sorcerers do not get a Familiar, instead they get 1 (cleric) domain of known spells. The do not get the domain's granted power, just get to know the spells as a bonus when they can cast them. These are in addition to the spells they get to know.

malien

First Post
It's just hard for me, I suppose. I play D&D more for the roleplay than the rollplay, to borrow an overused term, and it just isn't made to favour one over the other. I've been wanting for the last day and a half to build an Aasimar Paladin/Sorcerer/Exalted Arcanist to be like this sort of... crusader-mage, but the build just feels so impractical. If I want to be a decent warrior, I need more paladin or maybe eldrich knight, but then I sacrifice getting Exalted Arcanist until almost the end. So, then I turn back to just being a sorcerer... and I want my spells to have some unified theme, so I can stick with the whole crusader-mage thing.

I dunno. Sometimes, no matter how much I like D&D, it feels too limiting. Not that I know how I'd fix it, though. Heh.

Remove ads