• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer vs. Warmage

Liquidsabre

Explorer
What's a sword wielder without their shield and armor? No defensive spells (evocation *only*), makes for one dead mage. Sorcerer wins hands down. Warmage makes a great NPC class though for those city guard mages...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Give me a sorcerer10/Blessed of Mesos 10 over warmage any day of the week.

I can blast, dispell, suck down magic, and generally make the Warmage feel weak in the knees at the power I command. :D

Horishijin

First Post
Liquidsabre said:
What's a sword wielder without their shield and armor? No defensive spells (evocation *only*), makes for one dead mage. Sorcerer wins hands down. Warmage makes a great NPC class though for those city guard mages...

Warmage can wear armor, up to medium, without penalty, depending on level, and use a buckler.

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
One more point to remember - a sorceror can vastly expand on the spells at their disposal by use of scrolls, while a warmage is limited only to the very few spells on their list.

Victim

First Post
The Warmage spell list sucks. You can only compare it to a sorcerer's spell selection if all the sorcerers you see pick vast amounts of redundant damage dealing spells, and absolutely no utility or secondary style attacks. A sorcerer can spontaneously cast attack spells in battle then fill the role of magic guy in a party with his other spells. A Warmage can spontaneously cast a bunch of similar attacks in combat, and then try to melt things with them out of combat because he only has attack spells (and mostly direct damage ones at that).

Also, sorcerers rock for buffing spells. Take one good spell, then cast it on everyone. Many good spells will last for several encounters and won't take up any combat actions. Fly on everyone. In 3.0, Improved Invisibility for everyone (it helps if people see invis in some way). Using the sorcerer's large of slots to give everyone a nice buff can provide a vast advantage.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Give me a sorcerer10/Blessed of Mesos 10 over warmage any day of the week.

I can blast, dispell, suck down magic, and generally make the Warmage feel weak in the knees at the power I command. :D
Yeah, yeah, yeah nightfall. I think we all get the point - the blessed of mesos is overpowered to the point of sillyness. We know.

When someone says something like "X class can blast away all day", I come back with "yeah, but can he make a simulacrum of a beholder?"

That should shut them up.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Horishijin said:
Warmage can wear armor, up to medium, without penalty, depending on level, and use a buckler.

Of course, but I'm talking about defensive spells. The armor/shield bit was for the fighter heh. Sure the warmage gets a buckler and some armor so they can mix it up in melee if they have to.

But only useful in combat situations?? The warmage is stymied in any other situation that isn't combat-based. Need to get up a mountain side? What's the WM going to do, blast it to rubble and then start walking? That's about all they can do. Nah, maybe if the *extra* spells they could add could be something besides evocation spells you might have something here, but as the WM stands, I wouldn't ever want to play one. Waaaay, to focused. Teh WM even makes the Warlock look flexible by comparison (and indeed the Warlock is the more playable PC base class here compared to the WM).

WarmageGuy

First Post
Well, I've been reading these posts, and decided toss in my two coppers.

As the name implies, I'm going to be playing a Warmage in a new campaign.
We'll see how things go.
But, as for the versatility question -- those who posted that Sorcerers are more versitle
are correct, in as far as they go. But, it's been my experience that people who play sorcerers do so in order to have the more spells per day, where wizard PCs tend to
go for versatility and utility spells. I think this could be remedied by allowing
Sorcerers more spells known per level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads