Sorcerers making magic items

Silverglass

Norfleet said:
I don't recall anything that says you actually have to cast the spell once per day of the construction. That means the single charge wand, if you consider wands to be acceptable prerequisite-meeters, is valid: You CAN have the spell cast once per day of the construction. Since you never actually *DO* it, the ability to cast spell is never depleted. I have a wand of fireball. Today, I can cast the fireball. Tomorrow, I can cast the fireball. The day after that, I can still cast the fireball.....because I haven't done so. Since I never actually *DO* it, 30 years from now, I can STILL cast the fireball, provided I never actually do so. I merely have to retain the ability to do so throughout the entire creation process. Even if you don't accept this, a fully charged wand is perfectly capable of meeting the prerequisites for any such creation now and in the future, because I NEVER ACTUALLY DISCHARGE THE ABILITY.

SRD Magic Items: "A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect. For each day that passes in the creation process, the creator must expend one spell completion item or one charge from a spell trigger item if either of those objects is used to supply a prerequisite."

Wands are a spell trigger item so you do need to use 1 charge per day from the wand.

Dunjin

First Post
So a rogue or bard with a good UMD skill can craft just about any item there is through the use of wands?

Though, I assume that wouldn't work for simply adding enhancement bonuses, since those don't have spell requirements, right? Or can the UMD skill mimic the caster levels needed for those, too?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Dunjin said:
So a rogue or bard with a good UMD skill can craft just about any item there is through the use of wands?

Though, I assume that wouldn't work for simply adding enhancement bonuses, since those don't have spell requirements, right? Or can the UMD skill mimic the caster levels needed for those, too?
Well, a bard doesn't have to worry about this. His caster level = class level. The rogue might have difficulty, though.

Staffan

Legend
Dunjin said:
The rogue would have problems with learning the appropriate feats, since they require caster levels. The bard could make quite a few items though.

Remove ads