• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerers too powerful?

fba827

Adventurer
warlocks have more effects (auras, ongoing, etc) with their attacks. Plus, the concealment when moving (while easy to ignore) is handy.

Sorcerers, i've noticed do a lot more raw damage. but they also tend to not have great defenses - at least in the builds i've put together/seen. Sure, you can use some feats if you have the right ability scores, but that mens fewer feats to boost your sorcerer powers themselves.

Also, I haven't really looked, but do sorcerers get to target a variety of defenses? I know warlocks have a variety in their powers. But I haven't looked that closely at the sorcerer ones yet, so they may lack that flexibility to target as needed.

but, no doubt about it - raw damage is a lot higher with sorcerers. and, let's face it, everyone at the table is in awe everytime anyone gets to roll a handful of damage dice at once.

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
Underpowered warlocks? Really? I have five words:

Improved. Fate. of. the. Void.

My party just knocked out three cursed foes with an AoE, so I get +6 to any d20 roll I like this turn? Yes, please.

CubeKnight

First Post
warlocks have more effects (auras, ongoing, etc) with their attacks. Plus, the concealment when moving (while easy to ignore) is handy.

Sorcerers, i've noticed do a lot more raw damage. but they also tend to not have great defenses - at least in the builds i've put together/seen. Sure, you can use some feats if you have the right ability scores, but that mens fewer feats to boost your sorcerer powers themselves.

Also, I haven't really looked, but do sorcerers get to target a variety of defenses? I know warlocks have a variety in their powers. But I haven't looked that closely at the sorcerer ones yet, so they may lack that flexibility to target as needed.

but, no doubt about it - raw damage is a lot higher with sorcerers. and, let's face it, everyone at the table is in awe everytime anyone gets to roll a handful of damage dice at once.
Weird. My current Dragonborn Draconic Sorc has kickass AC, Fort and Will, courtesy of Leather Armor and nice Str. At level 2, she has 18 AC, increased to 20 after being bloodied. I'd say that's not bad at all for a Striker. Her Will is even better than her AC.

However, her Reflex... let's just not talk about that ;)

Regarding the defenses she can attack, while a huge part of their attacks are vs Ref, they do have attacks that target Fort and Will, including some of their at-wills (Storm Walk vs Fort, Chaos Bolt vs Will). Same with their Encounters/Dailies.

Last edited:

Tellerve

I'm confused.

Why would you need a ruling on that when it says in the PHB that the Fate of the Void is cumulative in the description?

Diirk

First Post

I had a look at the 2 classes, and it seems if you're focusing on damage then warlock and sorcerer single target damage is roughly the same, but sorcerer gets more multitarget options, where the warlock gets better status effects.

Neither of them can hold a candle to the real strikers for damage tho, ie ranger, rogue, barbarian.

Remove ads