• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorceror Advice

doktorstick

First Post
I'm about to play a sorceror in an upcoming campaign. It's my first time playing the class so any advice you care to share is appreciated.

/ds

Crothian

First Post
What race are you? What direction do you plan on going? Since they get so few spells Sorcerers are one of the few classes that it really helps to plan ahead with.

doktorstick

First Post
I am going to play a human that has an ice elemental (or white dragon) in his bloodline. He'll get the cold subtype. Secondly, element spells will be converted to [cold] as per the Energy Substitution feat.

/ds

Crothian

First Post
Okay, that's a good focus. Skill points are going to be tough, are you aiming toward a prestige class? If you can find on that fits I'd go for it since Sorcers loose nothing by taking prestige classes. Weapons wise crossbow is the best way to go until you get up in levels a bit.

DanMcS

Explorer
Negotiate. See if the DM will agree to a scheme that lets you replace known spells over time- say empty a 'known' slot at one level, refill it with something else at the next. Otherwise, you'll have to be very very careful to avoid potentially redundant spells like Endure, Resist, and Protection from Elements, which don't stack with each other and take up valuable known slots.

Failing that, select a list of spells you want to end up with, and fill it as you go.

You'll probably want to pick a concentration, for example, attack spells, or spells to aid in combat and general utility. Your real strength is the sheer number of spells you can fire a day, so pick spells that get value from repeated casting, like Magic Missile or Sleep at 1st Level.

Don't waste feats on item creation feats, you don't get enough. Sorcerors are the kings of metamagic.

Crothian

First Post
You might avoid Sleep and other spells that are near useless at mid to high level unless the DM allows you to exchange them later.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Are the feats from the Forgotten Realms available to you? There are some feats (spoellcasting prodigy) and spells (ice knife, IIRC) there.

If you have the spare feat, go with Point Blank Shot. It works on rays and touch attacks, and using a crossbow for the first few levels is better than casting a magic missile.

Oh yeah, avoid magic missile until 3rd or 4th level. It just isn't worth it.

Pax

Banned
Banned
doktorstick said:
I'm about to play a sorceror in an upcoming campaign. It's my first time playing the class so any advice you care to share is appreciated.

/ds

Look for spells that wll have not only good use during the levels where they ware your "besT" and "second best" spells (i.e., for an 8th or 9th level Sorceror, 3d and 4th level spells are in that range) -- but also for spells with multiple applications.

Plan your spells and your feats TOGETHER. For example: combining multiple Energy Substitution feats, with a broad range of Elemental-damage-type tagged spells, is a very good idea. When building this sort of sorceror, try to have one or two [elemental] spells per spell-level, each with their own especial "special function" angle -- like the AoE of a fireball, the continuous damage of a Melf's Acid Arrow, and so on.

Do not take spells that "expire" in usefulness down the road -- Sleep spells are for wizards and one-shots, not for long-term Sorcerors.

Also consider taking, here and there, some of the rarer "utility" spells, like Detect Poison, which if they are needed, will be needed RIGHT NOW, not "tomorrow". Detect Magic is another good one; let the Wizard focus on other cantrips; a little OOC coordination goes a long way to avoid stepping on each otehr's "schticks" and so forth.

Other than Prestige Classes, I strongly advise against multiclassing, or taking a race with an ECL above +1, or maybe +2. Sorcerors cannot afford to sacrifice many caster levels relative to teh group's average level; when it comes to acquiring and casting spells above 1st level, they are ALREADY one full level behind the other "main spellcaster" classes.

Above all else, come up with a lifelong "style" concept, and build for it with all your might. :)

Naar

First Post
Also, try to find out if you'll be going plane-hopping at any point. Many of the best spells for a Sorcerer don't work off the Material Plane.

The Plane of Shadow, for instance, is only coterminous with the Material, so shadow conjuration, shadow evocation, etc. will be useless to you if you're stuck in the Abyss, say.

The Ethereal Plane is also only coterminous with the Material Plane, so ghostform, which is a pretty decent spell for a Sorcerer, will be severely reduced in usefulness.

If you do decide to go for Elemental Savant, ask your DM if you can turn into an Ice Paraelemental rather than a Water Elemental, since it seems to fit your character concept more.

Remove ads