• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorceror or Wizard

James McMurray

First Post
For a sorcerer, spell selection is definitely key. Brian is right about going for one offensive and one defensive. Also, you will most certainly want to have ways to do miscellaneous helpful things as well.

Polymorph Other
Limited Wish
Animate Rope
Glitterdust
Illusion spells
Shadow Conjuration and Evocation
Fly
Wall of Force
Telekinesis
Stone Shape
Summoned Monsters
Polymorph Any Object
Gate
Shapechange

All of these spells have the ability to be useful in combat either offensively or defensively, and also have the benefit of having non-combat uses, making them extremely useful for a sorcerer. In fact, Limited Wish, used judiciously and by someone not afraid to lose some XP every now and then, can greatly increase a sorcerer's versatility.

Jeph

Explorer
Have any of you noticed that both the sorc and wiz are core classes? doesn't that say that they are equal, in and of it's self? Believe me, I'm sure the game designers playtested the heII out of this, and balanced them almost perfectly. Any blatant advantages or disadvantages of one class over the other should be tracable to a non-wizards source who created an overpowering aspect.

my point: THEY ARE BOTH CORE CLASSES BECAUSE THEY ARE BALANCED IN POWER! DUH!

-jeph

Hennet

First Post
My what a big charisma you have...

If you like chatting up the ladies/lads, go sorceror. And Monte's sorceror is a great idea--you give up a little by losing early access to power spells like haste, invisibility, shield, etc but the expanded skills give the sorceror a different feel than the wizard and is great for a party lacking a bard.

Power is similar for wiz or sorc but flavor can be quite different. Go with what appeals to you. (I'm biased towards sorceror, myself).

Remove ads