• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorceror PrC (Moved from House Rules)

Velenne

Explorer
(Note to Moderators: I chose to move this thread here due to the higher volume of traffic and the number-crunching nature of many of the posters here. The original post has been substantially modified per the feeback I recieved in House Rules and requires, I believe, the input of the posters here to be truly complete.)

This is a PrC I have created with the intent of making an "arcane psion" of sorts -a caster with a total pool of spell energy that he uses to power his castings. Basically, the orignal idea for the PrC was for a Sorceror trained by a Wizard and stooped in education. Through his extensive studies, he masters the inherant abilities within himself in the same way as a Psion. Is it powerful? Oh yes, very powerful. And only the most rigorous of mind, and pure of heart may be trained.

My major questions for this are:

1.) Are the required spell levels for the Globes, and Sphere Travel too high?

2.) Is the Alyssarhi Elder ability balanced, as is?

My fervent and heartfelt thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

The school of magic practiced today by sorcerors known as Alyssarhi was the brainchild of a young human only a scant few years ago. It is said that this man eventually drove himself to madness trying unlock the secrets of the multiverse through his formulas. No one today truly knows the fate of the man named Collin Alyssar. It is also said that a candle burning twice as brightly lasts only half as long. And Collin’s candle burned oh so brightly.

The Alyissarhi build their beliefs on a few simple but fundamental principles: 1.) Mathematics is the language of reality. 2.) Everything can be represented and understood through numbers. 3.) If you graph these numbers, three patterns emerge: Circles, Spirals, and ultimately, perfect Spheres. Therefore: There are spheres everywhere in the multiverse. Using a combination of these therories and honing the innate magics of the sorcerors themselves, Alyssarhi are capable of defying the laws of magics and expanding the use of their powers in infinite ways.

Hit Dice: d4

Requirements
A deep understanding of the laws of reality requires a disciplined and focused mind, one that is experienced in the ways of shaping magic, altering the many variables of magic, and specializing particularly in one school’s laws and natures. Also, Alyssarhi masters will not train evil sorcerors who may warp the spheres for their own twisted ends.
Spells: Ability to cast 4th level spells spontaneously
Feats: Any 2 metamagic feats and Spell Focus: Any school
Skills: 10 ranks in Knowledge(Arcana) and 5 ranks in Knowledge(Mathematics). An Allysarhi is also required to place one additional skill point in any two knowledge skills in order to raise to the next prestige class level.
Alignment: Any non-chaotic and non-evil.

TABLE 1: THE AYLISSARHI
Class---Base---Fort----Ref----Will
Level---Attack--Save---Save---Save-----Special--------------Spells
1st-------+0-----+0-----+0-----+2-----Scion of the Sphere
2nd------+1-----+0-----+0-----+3-----Impervious Globe---+1 Level of Existing Class
3rd------+1-----+1-----+1-----+3-----Potency Sphere +1---+1 Level of Existing Class
4th------+2-----+1-----+1-----+4-----Unravelling Globe---+1 Level of Existing Class
5th------+2-----+1-----+1-----+4-----Alyssarhi Master
6th------+3-----+2-----+2-----+5-----Potency Sphere +2---+1 Level of Existing Class
7th------+3-----+2-----+2-----+5-----Sphere Travel---+1 Level of Existing Class
8th------+4-----+2-----+2-----+6-----Vengeful Globe---+1 Level of Existing Class
9th------+4-----+3-----+3-----+6-----Potency Sphere +3---+1 Level of Existing Class
10th-----+5-----+3-----+3-----+7-----Alyssarhi Elder

Class Skills
The Aylissarhi’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (all skills) (Int), Scry (Int), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int)

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier.

Class Features

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: Alyssarhi do not gain any new proficiencies in any weapons, shields, or armor. Their attacks and defenses are entirely based on their magics.

Spells Per Day: When a new Alyssarhi caster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an Alyssarhi, she must decide to which class she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Scion of the Sphere: After intense study of the laws of magics and reality, Alyssarhi are capable of conjuring a small sphere approximately eight inches in diameter which hovers near them. The sphere is a physical manifestation of the variables changed by any metamagic feat the Alyssarhi knows. By casting a spell through the sphere, the variables of the spell are altered by the sphere itself and thus the caster does not have to change them as the spell is being cast. In game terms, the Alyssarhi is able to apply whichever metamagic feat he chose without paying the additional casting time. He must still use a higher level spell slot, however. Initially conjuring the sphere costs a number of spell levels equal to the metamagic feat’s level adjustment. Only one sphere can be mainatined at any given time. The sphere lasts for a number of rounds equal to the Alyssarhi’s Charisma modifier or until dismissed (a free action).

Impervious Globe: Globes are identical to spheres except for their function and their size. A globe is a sphere that encompasses the Alyssarhi himself. The Impervious Globe grants Damage Reduction 15/+5 against outside physical attacks. When conjuring this globe, the Alyssarhi pays 5 spell levels.

Potency Sphere: Spells cast through this sphere have enhanced power. Add the listed bonus to spell DC’s and caster level checks to overcome spell resistance. Conjuring these spheres costs a number spell levels equal to twice the Potency value. Sphere potency stacks with Spell Power effects such as that granted by the Archmage prestige class.

Unravelling Globe: By unravelling magic passing through its walls, this globe grants those within it Spell Resistance equal to 20 plus the Alyssarhi’s prestige class level. This globe costs six spell levels to conjure.

Alyssarhi Master: Extensive knowledge of reality’s laws and expereience with the spheres allows the Alyssarhi Master to conjure and maintain two spheres and/or globes simultaneously.(1 sphere and 1 globe, or 2 spheres, or 2 globes)

Sphere Travel: The Alyssarhi’s grasp of the world around him allows him to jump short distances across the spheres instantly. This functions exactly as a Dimension Door spell sans any visual components (ie, a door of energy opening up) and costs five spell levels to perform.

Vengeful Globe: After extensive practice with his Unravelling Globes, the Alyssarhi is able to shape incoming magics directed at him and possibly redirect them. Turning the spell requires opposed caster level checks. Spell Power, Spell Focus (when applicable), and Spell Penetration apply to this roll. If the Alyssarhi bests his opponent, the spell is redirected at whomever he pleases. Conjuring this globe costs seven spell levels.

Alyssarhi Elder: By now the Alyssarhi has achieved the highest level of mastery of both his own magics and how they apply to the nature of reality around him. He is able to effectively pool his entire magical supply and use it as he chooses. In game terms, he totals his spell levels into a single pool (1st level spell = 1 spell level. 2nd level spell = 2 spell levels etc). The cost for such flexibility in casting spells, however, comes a high price. Any spell the Alyssarhi casts costs twice its level in pooled spell levels. For example, if Collin wished to cast an 8th level Incendiary Cloud, he could choose to power it with 8 second level spells, 4 fourth level spells, or any other combination adding up to 16. This ability is also conferred when applying metamagic feats, as long as the total effective level is not higher than the highest level spell the Alyssarhi can cast.

Reference my 2nd question at the beginning of the post:

The earliest a character could aquire the Alyssarhi Elder ability is 18th character level. He would have taken the PrC at 9th level, having met the prereqs to cast 4th level spells at 8th level. So taking 1st level of PrC at 9th, means he's 10th level PrC at 18th character level. Comparing the Alyssarhi Elder to an 18th level Psion, we find the following:

Total Pooled Sorceror Spell levels (18 CHA):
6+12+18+24+30+36+28+10(Bonus spell levels) = 154

Total Pooled Psion Power Points (18 primary score):
147+16(bonus PP's)= 163

Though the Psion could manifest 9th level powers by this point, the Sorceror could only cast 7th, so we will compare the casting/manifesting potential using 7th level spells/powers.

18th level Alyssarhi Elder:
7th level spell (costing 14 spells levels) / 154 total spell levels = 11 7th level spells per day.

18th level Psion:
7th level power / 163 power points = 12 7th level powers per day

To take the example further, an identical comparison was made using 20th level characters casting/manifesting 8th level spells/powers (because this is the highest spell level the Alyssarhi can ever cast). In this 20th level comparison, the potential is even:

20th level Alyssarhi Elder:
8th level spell (costing 16 spell levels) / 210 total spell levels = 13 8th level spells per day.

20th level Psion:
8th level power / 199 power points = 13 8th level powers per day.

So the goal of making an "arcane psion" is reached, IMHO, while keeping with the balance of the two classes.

I need the help of you number crunchers and Rules Lawyers out there to help me wrap this puppy up!

SpikeyFreak

First Post
He he. PirateCat's last responce to someone who knowingly posted something in the wrong forum was pretty searing. I wonder if this one will be too.

Scion of the Sphere is cool and seems balanced.

Impervious Globe seems too powerful. That's where I stopped reading.

--Popcorn Spikey

chilibean

First Post
How can you pay spell levels before you are an Elder, if you haven't yet got the ability to cast from a pool of all your spells (ie. does "pay 5 spell levels" mean use a 5th level spell slot only)? So only an elder can pay 5 spell levels by using 5 1st level slots to conjure the appropriate sphere, and can use 10 spell levels to cast a 5th level spell?

How many slots does a 5th level Aylissarhi pay to cast a 2nd level spell? 2 or 4? Are they limited in the number of 2nd level spells per day by total spell levels, or by spell slots of that level (like a sorcerer)?

Can the Aylissarhi still use their sorcerer abilities as they were before he started studying magic in this way? So can an Elder cast a 3rd level spell using a 3rd level sorcerer slot still? I would think yes, but his caster level would be 8 then, instead of 18, correct? But that way he could still cast a 3rd level spell with only 3 spell slots instead of 6, if he chose to reduce his effective caster level. Maybe this is unbalancing, but the only PrC I can think of off hand that prevents former class abilities from working still is when a Paladin becomes a Blackguard. Is this what you intended?

I hope these questions help some... :)

Velenne

Explorer
Impervious Globe seems too powerful. That's where I stopped reading.

Why? It's identical to a 4th level Stoneskin spell but automatically runs out in (Sorceror's CHA) rounds. How come you stopped there? :(

How can you pay spell levels before you are an Elder, if you haven't yet got the ability to cast from a pool of all your spells

You would use up any combination of spell slots adding up to what is required. 5, in the case of a Sphere Travel, or 3 in the case of a Maximize Spell Sphere (since it has +3 level adjustment). Once you are an Elder, it still only costs 5 spell levels. The same would apply to all other instances where the cost is listed in spell levels. Good point, I should clarify that.

How many slots does a 5th level Aylissarhi pay to cast a 2nd level spell?... So can an Elder cast a 3rd level spell using a 3rd level sorcerer slot still?

2, just as normal. The spells don't pool until he's 10th level PrC. At that point, they all pool together, and he can't go back. The reason his spells will now cost double is for balance purposes when compared to the Psion (as detailed later in the post). At that point, as near as I can tell, it is all still balanced.

Last edited:

chilibean

First Post
This class kinda reminds me of the shadow magic feat/PrC in FRCS. You could do it all at once, or gradually.

With this class you basically give up 2 caster levels in sorcerer over the course of your progression in it for the ability to conjure these spheres. So these spheres are basically just "arcane spells" that are limited to this PrC and can be cast from any sub-set of spell slots that equals the required number of spell levels.

So all the way until you are an elder, you are still basically just a sorcerer with those couple minor changes I listed above. Then, click, you become an Elder and you have switched from reqular arcane magic to this other form. Kinda like that shadow magic feat that switches you over to shadow magic weave instead of the regular magic weave.

It sounds interesting and reasonably balanced to me. The balance after the switch seems ok with the spell slot math you provided as an example, and before the switch you're not more powerful exactly, just different. Seems ok to me. I guess the playtesting will bring out the loopholes, but there are always loopholes for the DM to rule0, so I wouldn't sweat them...

Cloudgatherer

First Post
A little too powerful. The class does it all, damage reduciton, spell resistance, faster casting of meta magic spells, "super" spell turning (redirection), and the elder ability can turn the sorcerer into a super hurler of high level spells.

Jairami

First Post
I disagree. I think arcane casters are already able to do it all. Stoneskin for DR, create magical items for spell resistance, cast spell turning for unbeatable SR, the only difference is that most things an arcane caster can use to replicate this class's abilities have better durations! :) This class is simply a more flavorful way of doing it.

As for the ability for a sorcerer to cast metamagick'd spells with no casting delay, this is a relatively small benefit. The difference between usually a 30' move and a cast, from a 5' move and a cast. Given that enemies can charge, if you are already in melee range of something, 25' isn't going to matter. And there is always haste.

All of this PrC's globes and spheres have extremely short durations and take an action to bring about. Which means you can't have them ready before hand or they will run out, and that when the battle starts you are out for 2 rounds or so while you summon forth little spheres and globes. Bah.

I played a caster from level 1 to ench 5/shadow adept 10/archmage 5, and I can tell you straight out that the battle is already decided in 2 rounds with high level wizardry. And this class doesn't have any power above other PrC's until it's last level. And as the author pointed out, it's 18th level before you get that. At 18th level, not having 9th level spells is lethal.

But mainly, I feel that if the sorcerer can already duplicate the majority of the classes abilities with spells, then there's not a problem. The last ability is a twist, but more than paid for with 18 levels of work and balanced by the amazing abilities of other PC's at that level.

Velenne

Explorer
<points to Jair>

What he said. ;D

What do you think, Jairami? Should some of the required spell levels for the abilities be decreased? Should the time to bring up a sphere/globe be lowered to a MEA? (Sphere Travel would still be a SA though)

Jairami

First Post
I don't know. I'd have to see it in play to see how many spells on average benefit from an average sphere and if it's worth the level spell given up to have those 25' movements for those spells.

But I imagine, that with a sorcerers number of spells per day that it will work well. I don't want to kill the thread, but any further comments from my part will require seeing someone use the class first.

Maybe someone else sees something I don't?

Remove ads