• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerors powers for Clerics?

Ogrebear

Explorer
I am looking for a version of the Cleric that casts spells like the Sorceror does. Cany anyone point me in the direction of a book(s?), website, bbs discussion that covers this class please.

Thanks!

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
The Dragonlance campaign setting has the Mystic - which is a spontaneous Cleric. But it's quite an expensive buy for one class.

I think Unearthed Arcana has a guide to how to convert a core class cleric over to spontaneous casting...

Hope that's some use!

Pax

Banned
Banned
Yes, UA has rules for spontaneous clerics/druids/etc.

The Mystic, from DLCS, is also not truly a CLERIC; the class presupposes that the character is NOT the agent of any deity - based on some specific setting issues. Mystics don't turn undead, either.

jsaving

Adventurer
Purchase Complete Divine. It has 2 different spontaneous clerics as well as a spontaneous druid.

Personally, I was disappointed in those classes, but YMMV.

hoyerhan

First Post
There is a charisma based spontaneous divine caster in Miniatures Handbook; the Favored Soul. The class doesn't have access to cleric domains though.

Last edited:

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
non-canon clerics with spontaneous casting abilities

Shaman, from the Green Ronin "Shaman Handbook" . Fairly complicated spell acquisition and limited turning ability. No domain powers. Cha-based (spirit interaction). Medium fighting ability - basically a variant druid. This might need some consultation with your GM about its feasibility in a campaign.

Witch, from the Green Ronin "Wiches Handbook". Arcane caster with healing spells (but a rather specific, thematically restricted spell list). No turning ability - gets a familiar. Wis-based. Little fighting ability. Interesting, but will need some adaption and expansion by the GM in all likelihood, to flesh out spell list. Might not fit in every camapaign, either.

Faith Caster - from Fantasy Flight Games "Path of Faith". Entirely spontaneous cleric, but no turning and limited access to domain spells, if not in choice of domains. Wis based. Little fighting ability - akin to a sorcerer. Basically a sorcerer/cleric mix, as proposed above.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I use one in my campaign called "Prophet".

Instead of the normal cleric list and domains, the prophet has "faiths known" and "faiths per day" which are selected from the cleric list according to the sorcerer spells known and spells per day. They retain all the other cleric features except domains.

Worked nicely so far.

Li Shenron

Legend
Ogrebear said:
I am looking for a version of the Cleric that casts spells like the Sorceror does. Cany anyone point me in the direction of a book(s?), website, bbs discussion that covers this class please.

Unearthed Arcana is the closest version to the PHB Cleric, the only difference being spontaneous casting.

The class uses the Cleric's spells per day table (domain slots are merged with normal slots) with Sorcerer's spells known table (but of course spells known must be chosen from the Cleric spell list). The spontaneous cleric also automatically learns his domain spells.

Everything else is the same as the core Cleric, therefore it is very easy to evaluate this class. Also UA is OGL so you can easily find full information about the class on these boards.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads