• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerous Blade Channeling & Acid Orb

I don't think so, but given that the Sorcerer feat Sorcerous Blade Channeling allows one to use one's ranged sorcerer attack powers as a melee attack, and given that Acid Orb can be used as a RBA, does it follow that Acid Orb combined with Sorcerous Blade Channeling, can be used as a MBA?

Dice4Hire

First Post
This has been discussed a few times on this board. But it was a while ago. If you can search, that might be the easiest option.

I figured if you could use it as a RBA, it would mention something like that in the feat's description, that is, that you can use a power that can be used as as RBA, as a MBA. Otherwise, it's kind of like getting 2 feats in one (melee training), which is a bit much, I guess.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
As far as I can tell, by RAW, it means you can use it as a RBA, with range "melee 1"

A melee ranged basic attack.

This seems slight odd, but that's what you get with RAW. :p

1of3

Explorer
I figured if you could use it as a RBA, it would mention something like that in the feat's description, that is, that you can use a power that can be used as as RBA, as a MBA. Otherwise, it's kind of like getting 2 feats in one (melee training), which is a bit much, I guess.

On the other hand, this trick is pretty much the only reason to take acid orb. So you spend a feat and an at-will slot.

jbear

First Post
Im doubtful that this is the RAW interpretation, but as a DM I would allow you to use it as a MBA with that feat. And although you have a Warlord in the party you're still probably still going to choose other at wills, lets say Dragonfrost which is also a RBA and has a push effect.

DracoSuave

First Post
No.

Melee Basic Attack is a specific power. Unless you got a feat specifically changing it to that power, you cannot use it as that power.

Seekers have a power, Guardian Hunter, that can be used at Melee or Ranged inherently, and it counts -only- as a ranged basic attack. Nothing in Sorcerous Blade Channeling is any more special than that.

Benlo

First Post
Doesn't one of the Shadar-Kai specific feats let you do this? Of course, I remember that one being more to the point and clear.

Aulirophile

First Post
Im doubtful that this is the RAW interpretation, but as a DM I would allow you to use it as a MBA with that feat. And although you have a Warlord in the party you're still probably still going to choose other at wills, lets say Dragonfrost which is also a RBA and has a push effect.
And targets Fort. A defense that, on many many monsters, is actually higher then AC. Not exactly a good bread-n-butter choice (which is what an RBA is going to become if you have a Warlord).

Remove ads