• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sort of Grim and Gritty DnD, help?

Eltharon

Explorer
Hi all
Sorry for the long post, but I decided that explaining the whole situation would answer some questions.

When you think of a grim and gritty game, anything D20 related is the last thing you think of. After all, for lethal combat, you have a million other “Grim” RPGs. DnD and its many children are games about noble heroes smiting vast amounts of bad guys, getting vast amounts of treasure and doing it in suitably heroic fashion (mainly). Now, there’s nothing wrong with that, as the characters I’ve played in DnD have done all that and more, and I’ve had great fun doing so. But then I tried to run an epic adventure in traditional “fantasy book” format (Meaning, instead of many liked dungeons, which is what the DMG says is a minor campaign, there is a large “metaplot” that the characters must solve. Anyone who has read any sort of traditional fantasy book, in my case, based on A Song of Ice and Fire, knows what I’m talking about). The problem was that the heroes had to be good enough to fight the evil bad guys (demons, in this case), and bad enough to feel threatened by evil minions (Humans, mainly). So I thought about it, and decided that 10th level was a good starting point, since they had to fight demons early on, provided I use the Grim ‘n Gritty rules to make stuff more lethal. That way, I said to myself, they can fight the demons AND get threatened by reasonably low level NPCs, while keeping a sense of danger throughout (something normal DnD doesn’t really have, due to its HP system, you know when a fight is going bad, normally). So we started. And…
The characters, just as in normal DnD, cut the minor NPCs into small, bite sized portions. In fact, due to the grim ‘n gritty rules, they did it in one hit.
Well that got old fast, so I put the adventure on hold until I could think of something.
So I put on my +2 Mithril Chain Shirt, grabbed my elven blade, and delved deep into the depths of my RPG collection, fighting off evil dust mice and the occasional Large Cat sitting on the character sheets. I pulled up GURPs Lite on my PC. I dug out my World of Darkness book. I dusted off my vintage copy of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (and admire the cool cover)
GURPs…hmm. Not enough material in the lite version, and I really couldn’t afford to buy more, even though I like the lethal combat.
World of Darkness has a combat system that’s much to streamlined (New WoD, btw). Lethal, but rather boring and predictable.
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay seemed to be it. We had played it before and liked it, and It certainly had characters that wouldn’t slice apart everything that came their way (except the party dwarf, of course, but he has ascended into legend)
Well, sort of.
The D100 Mechanic is nice, until one considers the odds of actually hitting someone.
So I ran some tests, we played a session, and yes, the game was good, but everyone—NPCs, PCs, Monsters—kept, well, whiffing. 5 rounds in row where a fighter type character missed the equivalent of a 1st level fighter in leather armour. And the peasant npcs in the traditional barroom brawl couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn standing next to it with their fists.

Now, understand that I’m not trying to kill the players here, just trying to instill that fact that combat is nasty (because they really get into it allot, and normally can get away with a lot), and the fact that characters in d20 leave their low level adversaries lying in pools of blood regardless of what optional rules you use. And with that thought, it hit me.
The thing I don’t like about DnD is the level curve. The DnD design is based on, well, Dungeons (!). The characters go through dungeons, fight bad guys, gain levels, and fight harder bad guys, working their way up the CR scale, and leaving the lower ones horribly outclassed. I mean, there is no 1st level fighter who can fight a 5th level one without the Dice Gods special blessing.
This works fine for dungeon delving, where it makes sense to have gradually higher level monsters, but we haven’t done a dungeon delve in 4 years. The thing is, you can’t really “fix” the level curve because it’s one of the important elements of DnD.

So, some of you are thinking that I’m crazy for trying to take the levels out of D20, but that is what I’m trying to do.

In fact, I’m also trying to tweak the combat system to make it a bit more realistic (heresy!) and allow things like parries and dodges (and less HP).

But the classes have to come first.

So how do I do it?

and thanks for sticking through the whole post. :)

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
To be clear, you are referring to Ken Hood's Grim n Gritty rules? Right? Are you using the most recently released version?

Also, you might want to give a look at Green Ronin's The Black Company Campaign Setting's rules for surprises and grievous injuries for "grim" alterations to D20. The mightiest hero will learn to fear an ambush by the lowliest mook.

Eltharon

Explorer
Yes, and as far as I know, they're the latest. At least, they have notes on why he changed stuff from previous editions.

The Edge

First Post
A fearsome quest. Diviseing the rules that is.

The closest I've got to 'grim and gritty' is useing a form of the valtality points system. The tiny amount of grimness basicly comes from the chance that a critical could take you out any moment and that it defines when your actualy hurt more than hp and penalises you for it.

Haveing a clear way of determining wounds and 'beat-up-ness' would probably lend some realisim to the game. One of the things with hp is you can never quite be sure how to interperet what your current score means. A fighter player once said he was finding it hard to picture his character walking around with the dozen or so arrows stuck into him, the sorreress then wondered about the recent acid sprayed at her, and since it dealt damage did that mean she had a gapeing hole in her dress.

Stuff like that needs to be addressed regardless of combat and level systems if you want a feel of realism.

As for your level-less system, good luck.

Eltharon

Explorer
Vitality is a good idea, and I found rules for injuries., disimbowlment and other nasty thing s online. I'm also thinking of picking up Torn Asunder, which has expanded and rather lethel critical hit tables.

And the classless system, I think you're right. I 'd have to dismantle half to rules to change it, and I really don't feel like doing that.

Fenris

Adventurer
Black Company is a good bet, but check out Grim Tales from Bad Axe Games as well. It is still D20 and still has levels, but they are more of a modern bent so you have more flexibility in designing a character. But the scale is a bit lower in regards to saves and magic. Magic is well dangerous and nasty, to caster and target, as it ought to be.

Grittiness comes from a Massive Damage Save at 10! points of damage. Anyone can fail a fort save. But there is a defense bonus mechanism and a great action point system for truely heroic deeds.

But what I love the most about Grim Tales is that you're in charge. Wulf (the author) made this a toolbox for the GM. So you have mutiple options for many factors. The Massive Damage save for instance can be 10, or 10+ Con Bonus or Con. So you can tweak all these factors to generate the feel you want.

Grim Tales always has that feeling of a threat for me. Now mooks are mooks and you take them out. But any BBEG is going to be a VERY big threat to a PC. Not insurmountable, but will always give them pause before they take them on.

Last edited:

Etharon, I've been running Grymwurld since 1978. I started with OD&D (1977) rules, switched to AD&D, then 2nd ed AD&D, Skills & Powers, 3.0 and now 3.5. I would be quite happy to share with you what has made Grymwurld a "Grim, grim, grim world" but frankly I'm having trouble culling from your post exactly what help you're looking for. Can you be more specific?

Eltharon

Explorer
Yeah, I tend to ramble a bit...

What I'm looking for is

a) A combat system that isn't quite as relient on level for victory (As in "I'm 10th level and you're 5th, so why don't you just bend of over and kiss your @$$ goodbye")
This is to help with my campaign, and hopefully make the PCs less likely to fight every possible time they can
b) A way to make DnD low magic. I think I found this in the Game of Thrones RPG, as none of its classes are magical.

Eltharon said:
a) A combat system that isn't quite as relient on level for victory (As in "I'm 10th level and you're 5th, so why don't you just bend of over and kiss your @$$ goodbye")
This is to help with my campaign, and hopefully make the PCs less likely to fight every possible time they can

Well, my experience in the SCA taught me (painfully) that unless the lower level combatant gets in a lucky crititcal hit, he's toast. I have always allowed open-ended critical hits but realistically that doesn't happen very often. Lower level opponents are a real threat when they outnumber the high level hero. Within the existing system, you have aid another, flanking, and reach weapons. Not to mention trip, disarm, sunder, grapple, etc. Put 2 or 3 low level guys with tower shields fighting defensively and guy in back with a polearm and improved trip, disarm or sunder. Alternately surround the 10th level hero with a bunch of 5th level rogues. Going to get some sneak attacks in for sure. Personally, I like the trip, disarm, sunder, etc. tactics.

Just remember that a wolf-pack can take down the mightiest bear.

Also consider the facing rules in Unearthed Arcana. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/combatFacing.htm
It does add some complexity but makes things more grym, er ah grim.

Critical hits to specific locations is always fun.

Eltharon said:
b) A way to make DnD low magic. I think I found this in the Game of Thrones RPG, as none of its classes are magical.

Take a look at Iron Heroes and CONAN. Personally I like the CONAN RPG rules better.

Hope this helps.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads