• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorta tough question on ghosts...

MeanGenes

First Post
Hi guys,
Sort of a weird question here. When traveling to the ethereal plane by Gate or Plane Shift spell, you become ethereal upon arrival. Now suppose a ghost casts Gate or Plane Shift to come into the material plane. Do they become tangible? Are they still incorporeal? What effect, if any, does this have on the ghost? If they pick up any items in the Material plane (like say, a cloak of resistance +5) and walk back through the gate, do those items become ethereal then? And do they continue to function in the ethereal plane?

Thanks,
MG

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Etherealness and incorporeality are two different things. One has nothing to do with the other. If an effect made a ghost non-ethereal, it would remain incorporeal.

the Jester

Legend
I agree with the good Dr. on this; and moreover- why would a ghost plane shift or gate to the material plane anyway? It seems to me that manifesting is easier, doesn't burn up your spells, and is at will anyhow. Save that plane shift for sending your enemies to Tarterus, or the gate for bringing in some heavy help!

Is there some sort of trick I'm missing here? Just curious.

MeanGenes

First Post
I agree with the good Dr. on this; and moreover- why would a ghost plane shift or gate to the material plane anyway? It seems to me that manifesting is easier, doesn't burn up your spells, and is at will anyhow. Save that plane shift for sending your enemies to Tarterus, or the gate for bringing in some heavy help!

Is there some sort of trick I'm missing here? Just curious.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of using a ghost to either kidnap someone or steal an item. A ghost can't turn things ethereal, but if the ghost could gate into the Prime Material plane and grab an item/person and run back through the gate, that item/person would then become ethereal. That's why I'm asking what a ghost would be like if it came through a gate into the prime material plane. If the ghost stole a magic wand, ring, or cloak, then ghost could probably "wear" the magic equipment and use it normally. Otherwise, there is no way for a ghost to pick up magic items permanently, other than staying manefested permanently which is not an option in this case.

Remove ads