• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Soul Magic suggestions

juliaromero

First Post
So, I'm introducing a new type of magic into my game (character levels are in mid to upper teens) called "Sould Magic" that they are slowly finding more and more info (doing research) on.

I wanted some suggestions on "pricing" it to get some feel what others might think is balanced.

The idea is that they can use a metamagic feat they have to modify a spell without raising the spell level at all, but the trade off is that it costs xp each time to do this (I haven't had to put any level caps on it yet, but I'm considering that option as well).

They've just "discovered" the most basic level right now, which seems to be working out. They can add and +1 level metamagic they know by paying the xp=spell level x 100. This seems to be okay, especially since most of the +1 level feats aren't a big deal. I've been getting a bit more nervous about the higher level ones though.

I want the cost to be painful, but useable, but not abuseable.

My first instinct was to go in general with (level modifier)^2 x spell level x 100, but that started to seem too high maybe, but rather too high than too low.

As a separate issue I may cap the level so that it would be "possible" to modify the spell normally (so no +2 mods to 8th level spells for example), but this doesn't seem necessary given feats like sudden quicken and items like metamagic rods.

XP costs add up fast, even at these levels. Anyway, I'd be curious to hear some suggestions on this.

juliaromero

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Maybe 2^(level modifier - 1) x spell level x 100 gp?

That's not a bad idea actually, it has the advantage of going up fast while staying reasonable at the lower feats, which is what I was looking for. I think this would only be abusable for the big metamagic feats and so an exponential like this might be a good idea. Thanks.

wuyanei

First Post
juliaromero said:
So, I'm introducing a new type of magic into my game (character levels are in mid to upper teens) called "Sould Magic" that they are slowly finding more and more info (doing research) on.

I have a feat in my game called Soul-fueled Spell (and if you can think of a better-sounding name, I'd be *very* grateful) that is almost the exact same thing. It costs (Spell level bonus x CL x 5) XP per spell, which is one fifth the price difference between a metamagicked scroll and a normal scroll (both at the caster's CL):

SOUL-FUELED SPELL [METAMAGIC]

Prerequisites: Spellcaster level 1st, any metamagic feat.

Benefit: When casting a spell, you can apply any metamagic feat you possess on the spell spontaneously without expending a higher-level spell slot. You must pay a XP cost equal to (the total number of spell levels the metamagic effect would have raised the spell by) x (the caster level you cast the spell at) x 5 to do so. You must be able to cast spells of the spell level of the original spell plus all spell level modifiers due to applying metamagic feat. The DC for any Concentration check to avoid losing the Spirit-fueled spell is raised as per normal for casting metamagic spells. Metamagic effects that raise the effect spell level of a spell, such as Heighten spell, also function normally. Casting a Spirit-fueled spell is a full-round action. If the spell has a casting time of more than one full-round, add one full-round to the casting time. This additional casting time does not stack with the additional casting time ocurred by spontaneous spellcasters when they use metamagic feats (eg. a stilled, soul-fueled:[silenced, maximized] fireball at CL 10 costs a 4th level spell-slot, 200 XP and is a full-round action).

For example, Elhan, a 9th level wizard, can use the Spirit-fueled spell feat to cast a stilled, maximized magic missile as a first level spell. He can continue to cast stilled (+1 lv), maximized (+3 lvs) magic missiles, even if he had already used up all of his fifth level spell-slots. However, each time he does so, he must pay 4 x 9 x 5 = 180 XP. Alternately, Elhan can cast a stilled (+1 lv), empowered (+2 lvs) scorching ray at 9th caster level for 3 x 9 x 5 = 135 XP, or a maximized (+3 lvs) burning hands at 5th caster level for 3 x 5 x 5 = 75 XP. However, Elhan cannot cast a silenced (+1 lv), stilled (+1 lv), maximized (+3 lvs) magic missile with Spirit-fueled spell, even at an XP cost, because he cannot cast 6th level spells yet.

Normal: A metamagicked spell uses a spell slot of a higher level.

Special: The XP cost is basically one fifth of the cost difference between a scroll of a metamagicked version of the spell and a scroll of a normal version of the spell.

Metagame: Basically, you spend XP to ‘buy’ a scroll instantly. The feat grants you great versatility, but at a stiff price in personal power. At high levels this is powerful, as characters have more XP to throw around, but OTOH, by then they would have plenty of gold pieces to spend on scrolls as well. I’m wondering, though, if I should charge for the convenience of not having to prepare the scrolls – say, (Sp lvl difference) x CL x 7 instead of (Sp lvl difference) x CL x 5. Personally, I would believe that 400 XP per pop (empower spell at 20th level) hurts no matter how high level you are. I also believe that this feat would be a great ‘flavor’ feat for sorcerers.

In my experience, player will always prefer to spend 5x gp instead of xp for expendable items. This is mostly because gp for consumables (wands, scrolls etc) can come from the party's pool, while xp is always (or mostly) from the spellcaster himself. This feat forces you to spend xp, but gives you great flexibility in return. You can still buy scrolls, of course, but unlike a normal caster who is mostly helpless once his highest 5 or 6 spell slots are depleted, you can always pull something extra out of your sleeve if push ever comes to shove.

The feat is great for fighting BBEGs, especially when you aren't prepaired beforehand. It is much less useful fighting minions, as you will not want to waste XP. It is powerful, but 'balanced' (ie. characters with the feat will not constantly outshine characters without it) in the sense that the *player* will alway reserve its use for the BBEG, where you -- the DM -- *want* your players to pull out all stops anyways.

Just my two cents. Ja ne! -- Yanei Wu

Last edited:

Remove ads