• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Soulknife as a PrC (1.0)

Technik4

First Post
I'm playing a psionic character in an upcoming eberron campaign and the DM doesn't think the soulknife is a good class to multiclass with psion. Personally I always liked the Soulknife as a PrC rather than a base class, so I've decided to try and cook something up. I did check out Nifft's approach (partly feat-based, then a PrC), but I am going for something that more closely resembles the 3.0 PrC of the same name. However, I'm also using Eldritch Knight and the base Soulknife XPH class for inspiration.

The goal of the PrC is that it will be an interesting choice for all psionic classes, especially those interested in doing melee combat with a mindblade. It should not be used in conjunction with the Soulknife base class.

The Soulknife

HD: d8

Requirements:

BAB: +4
Move Silently: 3 ranks
Knowledge (Psionics): 3 ranks
Base Power Points/Day: 11+

Class Skills:
The soulknife's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Concentration (Con), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Psionics) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Psicraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

BAB: As a rogue
Saving Throws: Good Reflex, Poor Fort and Will

1 Mindblade, Weapon Focus (Mindblade)
2 +1 Mindblade, Throw Mindblade, +1 Manifester level
3 Mindblade Enhancement +1
4 +2 Mindblade, Free Draw, +1 Manifester level
5 Shape Mindblade
6 +3 Mindblade, +1 Manifester level
7 Mindblade Enhancement +2, Bladewind as a power
8 +4 Mindblade, +1 Manifester level
9 Greater Weapon Focus (Mindblade), Knife to the Soul as a power
10 +5 Mindblade, +1 Manifester level

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Soulknives are proficient with light armor and shields. They are proficient with short swords and their mindblades (see below).

Powers Known: At every level beyond first, the character gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if she had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic of item creation feats, psicrystal special abilities, and so on). This essentially means that she adds the level of soulknife to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
If a character had more than one manifesting class before she became a soulknife, she must decide towhich class she adds the new level of soulknife for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Mindblade: As a move-equivalent action, the soulknife creates a semisolid blade 1 foot in length composed of psychic energy (distilled from her own mind). When the soulknife reaches 2nd level, her mindblade gains a +1 enhancement bonus; at 4th level, +2; at 6th level, +3; at 8th level, +4; and at 10th level, +5.

Weapon Focus (Mindblade): The 1st level soulknife gains this as a bonus feat.

Throw Mindblade: At 2nd level, the soulknife can throw his mindblade as a ranged weapon with a range of 30 feet.

Mindblade Enhancement: At 3th level, a soulknife gains the ability to enhance her mindblade. She can add any one of the weapon special abilities on the table below that has an enhancement bonus value of +1. At 7th level, the soulknife can add two +1 enhancements or a single +2 enhancement. A soulknife can reassign the abilities she has added to her mindblade. To do so, she must first spend 8 hours in concentration. After that period, the mindblade materializes with the new ability or abilities selected by the soulknife.

Free Draw: At 4th level, the soulknife becomes able to materialize her mindblade as a free action instead of a move action. She can make only one attempt to materialize the mindblade per round, however.

Shape Mindblade: At 5th level, the soulknife gains the ability to change the form of her mindblade. As a full-round action, she can change her mindblade to replicate a longsword or a bastard sword. Alternatively, a soulknife can split her mindblade into two identical short swords, suitable for fighting with a weapon in each hand (the normal penalties for fighting with two weapons apply). However, both mind blades have an enhancement bonus 1 lower than the soulknife would otherwise create with a single mindblade.

Bladewind as a power: Forthcoming

Knife to the Soul as a power: Forthcoming

Well, that's 1.0. Any thoughts? Balanced or not? I tried to keep it restricted to levels 6 and higher, which explains the relatively quick mindblade bonus progression (by 16th you can create effectively a +7 weapon, which is pretty good, but you gave up half your power progression as a psywarrior or you're a multiclassed psion giving up manifester levels).

Necromas

First Post
I think it would fit more nicely as a 15 level prc like the prestige bard/paladin/ranger so you can fit in more of the classes abilities.

The only issue I can see with it is that the Soulknife as a base class seems rather lackluster unless you take the soulbow prc, so basing it off of a low powered base class leaves you to decide how much you should increase the power.

Technik4

First Post
If you're addressing me...

Personally I always liked the Soulknife as a PrC rather than a base class, so I've decided to try and cook something up.

Yeah, I'm aware. The original PrC is made with rogues in mind, and gives full sneak attack progression. Personally, I'd rather leave that to the rogues (though it would combo nicely with my particular character, being a psion specializing in psychoportations).

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
That looks pretty similar to hat I came up with - Nifft has an alternate take as well:

Soulknife
Evilhalfling
XPH class redone as a prestige class
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=87150
Nifft
Revised XPH prestige class
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=88299

evilhalfling said:
Concept – The soulknife makes a better prestige class than a Core class – should any first level character be able to project a Psionic blade ? nah.
Soulknife in XPH is one trick pony- he has a nice blade -
This concept is too cool to abandon.
I really liked the originals ability to fall back on Psionic powers if the blade was unsuitable, but am open to a different advancement if the one listed is too fast. I never really liked the Psychic strike – to much like the psionic weapon feat.

Requirements
BAB + 4
Skills: Knowledge (Psionics) 9 ranks
Psionics: manifester level 3rd +
Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (psionics), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Spot and Tumble
Skill points: 4 + Int mod per level

Weapons and Armor: Soulknives gain proficiency in their own mind blade. They gain proficiency in light armor and shields (except tower shields)

Hit Dice - d8
BAB – as thief
Saves: will good

Special
1st – Mind blade, Throw blade (range increment 30)
2nd +1 mind blade, *
3rd free draw, shape mind blade
4th mind blade enhancement +1, *
5th +2 mind blade, weapon focus mind blade
6th Blade wind, *
7th mind blade enhancement +2
8th + 3 mind blade, *
9th knife to soul –
10th mind blade enhancement +3, *

* either +1 manifester level or +1d8 Psychic strike

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Deekin beat me to it- Hyperconscious' Blade Manifester is essentially a Soulknife PrCl.

(And, for the record, also provides another PrCl that can manifest a psychic blade...also allowing it to qualify for Blade Manifester.)

Technik4

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Deekin beat me to it- Hyperconscious' Blade Manifester is essentially a Soulknife PrCl.

(And, for the record, also provides another PrCl that can manifest a psychic blade...also allowing it to qualify for Blade Manifester.)

Then there is the blade manifester in Hyperconscious, by Bruce Cordell.

The blade manifester is a PrC designed for soulknives. It gives them up to 4th level powers at the cost of 3 levels of soulknife advancement. It is an interesting PrC, but not what I'm looking for (interestingly, it alludes to Soulknife having a full BAB progression, which it does not have in XPH).

The other mind blade class in HyperConscious might be what I'm looking for. It's a PrC designed mostly for casters, but perhaps if I multiclass with fighter I can make it work. The biggest problem is that a mind blade can never be modified (save by feats) or improved. So at 20th level, a +2 mind blade isn't really that exciting (save, maybe as a surprise back-up weapon).

Anyone have any rules for enchanting a mind blade? Also, I know there were some soulknife feats in a dragon magazine, but missed the issue. I understand they basically just gave the mind blade the attributes of one material, eg adamantine mind blade, mithral mind blade, etc.

My goal is to circumvent the Soulknife Base Class completely, creating a PrC with half manifesting improvement that culminates with a +5 Mind Blade, possibly with enhancements (the reason for half-manifesting progression is that every psionic base class will have base power point progressions and powers - therefore every soulknife will either be silly and spend tons of feats on Wild Talent, to simulate a power point reserve, or will more likely be from a base class with relevant manifester levels to add to).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) I don't think you can actually enchant a mindblade with anything beyond the temporary enhancements due to spells. Once they wink out of existence, all that work would be gone.

2) Dragon #341 had a bunch of Soulknife feats that, in certain cases, are better thought out than their CompPsi counterparts. For example: Instead of multiple feats each giving you an alternate shape of a particular exotic weapon, there is one feat giving you the alternate shape of a single weapon of your choice (polearms, nunchaku, etc); take it multiple times to add shapes. There is another that gives you a mind-shield, and another that produces multiple mind-daggers.

Get it if you can.

3) Other than the other class in Hyperconscious, I can't think of another class that gives you the ability to manifest a mind-blade. There are others that can modify a mind blade in some effective way- besides what you can find in CompPsi, there is the Kensai, for instance, and some of the Magic of Incarnum PrCls.

4) Something else to consider- while not a Soulknife, the Pyrokinetic PrCl (and its other energy-type versions detailed in Minds Eye on WotC's site) has some of the same feel- weapons that can't be taken away, for instance- so it tends to play the same way as the Soulknife.

Technik4

First Post

OK, here are my new ideas for Soulknife revision. There are 3 options which should all play the same, and can even work in the same campaign, but no character can take levels in different soulknife classes.

Base Class Soulknife, Revised

The differences from the core versions are as follows:
1. Base Attack Progression is improved to full instead of 3/4. This class has very limited powers and is essentially a 1-hit pony - that involves hitting! In exchange the class loses a few feats worth of power (levels 1, 5, and 6 should have bonus feats to enable the class to have the utility of the version found in XPH).
2. All the 'extras' have been converted to Bonus Feats. This allows for a lot more customizability and makes it feel more like a real Psionic Fighter class.
3. Focused Talent* is an improved version of Wild Talent, the power points will be needed to fuel Bladewind and Knife to the Soul, as well as any powers the Soulknife chooses to pick up with Expanded Knowledge.
4. Saving Throws changed to Good Reflex, Poor Fort and Will.

HD: d10

Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier

Class Skills
The Soulknife's class skills are Autohypnosis, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Psionics), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Spot, and Tumble.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Soulknives are proficient with all simple weapons, with their own mind blades, and with light armor as well as shields (except tower shields).

Focused Talent*: The soulknife gains this as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Mind Blade: Exactly as printed in the XPH.

Bonus Feat: Armor Proficiency (Medium), Armor Proficiency (Heavy), Expanded Knowledge+, Ghost Attack, Greater Weapon Focus (Mind Blade), Improved Critical (Mind Blade), Multiple Throw, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Body+, Psychic Strike+, Quick Draw (Mind Blade), Shape Mind Blade, Speed of Thought+, Throw Mind Blade, Up the Walls, Weapon Focus (Mind Blade). Alternately the Soulknife may choose to gain Sneak Attack in lieu of a bonus feat as the Rogue ability of the same name.

[Also I need to find those Dragon Magazine feats, as they will count as possible bonus feats]

+: This feat may be chosen more than once.

Manifester: The soulknife is considered to be a manifesting class, but his effective manifesting level is equal to 1/2 half his soulknife level, rounded down.

1 Mind Blade, Focused Talent*
2 Bonus Feat 1
3 Bonus Feat 2
4 +1 Mind Blade
5 Bonus Feat 3, Manifester, Learn Vigor as a power
6 Mind Blade Enhancement +1
7 Bonus Feat 4
8 +2 Mind Blade
9 Bonus Feat 5, Learn Bladewind as a power
10 Mind Blade Enhancement +2
11 Bonus Feat 6
12 +3 Mind Blade
13 Bonus Feat 7, Learn Knife to the Soul as a power
14 Mind Blade Enhancement +3
15 Bonus Feat 8
16 +4 Mind Blade
17 Bonus Feat 9, Learn Mind Blank, Personal as a power
18 Mind Blade Enhancement +4
19 Bonus Feat 10
20 +5 Mind Blade

*Focused Talent [General]
Benefit: Your latent power of psionics flares to life, conferring upon you the designation of a psionic character, you gain a reserve number of power points equal to your character level, and can take psionic feats, metapsionic feats, and psionic item creation feats. You do not, however, gain the ability to manifest powers simply by virtue of having this feat.

15-level Prestige Class Soulknife

This is a good option for people that like the idea of low-level soul-knives, but not 1st level soulknives. I added the option to improve Manfister levels or gain a bonus feat to add some flexibility.

HD: d10

Prerequisites:
BAB: +3
Concentration: 7 ranks
Power Point Reserve: 5+

Otherwise it is the same as the base class, above (Full BAB, Reflex Good, Fort and Will Poor, 4+Int Skills/level).

1 Mind Blade
2 (+1 Manifester level or Bonus Feat)
3 +1 Mind Blade
4 (+1 Manifester level or Bonus Feat)
5 Mind Blade Enhancement +1
6 +2 Mind Blade
7 (+1 Manifester level or Bonus Feat), Learn Bladewind as a power
8 Mind Blade Enhancement +2
9 +3 Mind Blade
10 (+1 Manifester level or Bonus Feat), Learn Knife to the Soul as a power
11 Mind Blade Enhancement +3
12 +4 Mind Blade
13 (+1 Manifester level or Bonus Feat), Learn Mind Blank, Personal as a power
14 Mind Blade Enhancement +4
15 +5 Mind Blade

10-level Prestige Class Soulknife

This is the final option, for those that consider this to be a class that belongs only in the hands of higher level characters.

Prerequisites:
BAB: +6
Concentration: 11 ranks
Power Point Reserve: 19+

1 Mind Blade, (Manifester Level +1 or Bonus Feat)
2 +1 Mind Blade
3 (Manifester Level +1 or Bonus Feat)
4 +2 Mind Blade
5 Mind Blade Enhancement +1, Learn Bladewind as a power
6 +3 Mind Blade
7 (Manifester Level +1 or Bonus Feat), Learn Knife to the Soul as a power
8 +4 Mind Blade
9 Mind Blade Enhancement +2
10 +5 Mind Blade

The base class advances at a 1:2 Mind Blade Progression, while the 15-level class is at 3/4 and the PrC is 1:1. If you consider the ability to manifest a Mind Blade to be level 1, you can allow soulknives more options with prestige classes by allowing them to substitute 2 levels of manifesting improvement for 1 level of Mind Blade Progression.

Mind Blade Progression Table:
Level 1 Mind Blade
Level 2 +1 Mind Blade
Level 3 Mind Blade Enhancement +1
Level 4 +2 Mind Blade
Level 5 Mind Blade Enhancement +2
Level 6 +3 Mind Blade
Level 7 Mind Blade Enhancement +3
Level 8 +4 Mind Blade
Level 9 Mind Blade Enhancement +4
Level 10 +5 Mind Blade

By default, you can offer 1:5 progression without any concern. For instance, a Soulknife6/Psychic Warrior5 would have the mind blade ability of an 8th level Soulknife (the 5 Psychic Warrior levels would improve the mind blade progression by 1, from level 3 to level 4).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads