• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Source of maps in back of 5e DMG?

Aoirorentsu

Explorer
Among the many cool things in the new DMG, one of them is the set of cool maps towards the end of the book. Does anyone know where they come from? Were they published in previous adventures from older editions?

I'm particularly interested in the Bhaal-themed map on p312 if anyone knows.

Thanks!

guachi

Hero
I believe they are all Mike Schley. I bought the maps for Phandelver and printed them out on my photo printer. I only printed 4x6 but they are glossy and high resolution. Definite addition to my game as I can't draw at all. Why let all that good art go to waste?

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
As a reference:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
For my money, I want to know who did the settlement image on page 115 -- that is awesome!
axBycJS.jpg

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
These are Mike Schley's wonders! I liked that WoTC included different map model in the DMG, i thought it was both brilliant and inspiring!

As a reference:

The map on the top of page 314 is used for The Dripping Caves (goblin lair) in Storm King's Thunder.

The map on page 311 is a re-do of the map from the sample adventure that appeared in the original AD&D DMG from 1979, so it was created by Gary Gygax (and has been re-drawn here). That book also contained a keyed description of the rooms & contents.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads