• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Space RPGs?

RFisher

Explorer
I can totally see that as a viable and interesting setting but Traveller came out at a time when Star Wars was very much on the mind of most gaming aged customers. Plus, it said right on the cover, "Science Adventure in the Far Future". In 1977 the 'Far Future' didn't have bullets and slow FTL drives. I grew up on Ringworld, The Forever War, The Stars My Destination, Lensman, Retief and many other SF books just as much as TV shows, comics and movies and at first glance Traveller seemed dull and flat by comparison.

It’s funny. Back then, I was heavily into science. The sci-fi I did enjoy was the stuff that was more grounded in science. So, a future with bullets and slow FTL was more attractive to me.

Sure, I liked Star Wars, but it was always fantasy in drag to me. No need for a sci-fi RPG if I want to play something like Star Wars. (OK, not just fantasy in drag. Also WWII and Kurosawa and...)

But then, I guess I knew I was weird in that respect even then.

On the other hand, there were some pretty gonzo Traveller campaigns I’ve read about. Change the time for jumps to be based on distance and whatever rate you choose. Call the blades “lightsabers”. Call the slugthrowers “blasters”. And you’re well on your way.

malladin

Explorer
I can't believe not one mention of Trinity. Intelligent space opera in a unique world. Suffers from the WW metaplot syndrome and needs a couple of supplements to cover the deep space stuff, but excellent game. I'm in the Fading Suns is great group. Hear a lot of good things about MongTrav.

Aus_Snow

First Post
There are some really neat settings out there, or at least ones I might suggest mining for fluff 'n stuff. But I think they've been mentioned in this thread already, so I won't.

But I still haven't honestly found a system that feels quite right for sci-fi that isn't also gonzo, space opera, or otherwise wahoo and wacky. Violins please. :(

It's pretty weird, considering that I have found - or on occasion mutilated and cobbled together - systems for everything else. :confused:

The Green Adam

First Post
We often played the much lamented Space Opera RPG from Fantasy Games Unlimited Space Opera (game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Don't ask me how we played it as figuring out the rules are akin to slamming ones head repeatedly against something of greater density with great rigor. At the same time I remember some very cool characters and a good number of roaring tales from those days.

Traveller remains a favorite of course and artwork not withstanding Mongoose's version is as true to the original as I've seen in quite a while.

AD

mmadsen

First Post
Sure, I liked Star Wars, but it was always fantasy in drag to me. No need for a sci-fi RPG if I want to play something like Star Wars. (OK, not just fantasy in drag. Also WWII and Kurosawa and...)
We naturally wanted to integrate Star Wars into our D&D game, but psionics and hit points never quite worked to model the Force and light-saber duels.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
I strongly recommend Fading Suns for a science fantasy/space opera setting, and Transhuman Space for a hard SF one.

I've thought about combining those two to make a Butlerian Jyhad type campaign. As man hits the information singularity and begins his expansion into the universe a group of powerful psychics begin a crusade to reestablish the purity and primacy of Homo sapiens sapiens under the banner of a new religion.

Psion

Adventurer
I also managed to get a copy of Spaceship Zero for $3 on Sunday. I had a blast the one time I've gotten to play it. Well, okay, it was run by Piratecat. I know, that man could make Paint: The Drying a fun game, but this game holds up even if he isn't running it.

I bought a copy of that way back when it was new. And frankly, I'm really underwhelmed with both the rules and the backstory.

S'mon

Legend
StarSiege: Event Horizon has just reached the UK and I've ordered my copy tonight. Hopefully it'll be the fast-playing generic sf game I've been wanting for years.

Brutorz Bill

First Post
RDP is actually going to be doing a Conversion of Darrin Drader's Reign of Discordia for the Traveller system.

We'll still be doing True20 material for the setting, but I'm really liking Traveller and I think Reign will work very well with it.

Hey Urizen,
When is this do out?? I really like Reign of Discordia but Traveller and I go waaay back!!!! Any info would be appreciate.
Thanks,
Bill

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads