• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spartans on a rampage! a new character class

how do you rate this class on a scale from one to ten?

Votes: 0 0.0%

tanis

First Post
Here is a great character class based off Spartan warriors! :D
The Spartan Phalanx Soldier (in attachment)

Attachments

• Character Classes.doc
    47 KB · Views: 155

tanis

First Post
Sadly myself I must say the same but 1 I will probebly revise it then republish it and 2 in the meantime, take advantage of stupid DMs! :lol:

Not only broken (never make a class with nonstandard attack bonuses and saves), but also pointless, because you can represent a phalanx soldier perfectly well as a fighter who chooses feats appropriate for his style of combat. Given the importance of bonus feats in the class's progression, this shouldn't be surprising.

Lopke_Quasath

First Post
WAY too overpowered. The BAB jump alone is enough to disregard this class, let alone the d12 per level with all the bonus feats.

Even as a PrC it would have to be toned down a boatload (that means a lot ;) )
Besides, as comrade raoul pointed out any fighter could go the route of the phalanx fighter.
This would be ok for an NPC organization, but seriously how many parties would have 2 fighters specializing in phalanx fighting, let alone 3 or more.

Sorry for the crackdown, but luckily you admit you know it's broken :)

Cheers

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I have been trying to replicate the spartans - with just the fighter. What gave me the most trouble was the 8' spear and tower shield fighting style. The book I was reading mentioned the second rank fought over the top of the first (ie reach weapon needed)

Feats for a Spartan Peer:
Tower shield, Phalanx fighting, Monkey Grip (long spear in one hand)
optional: Improved overrun(+PA), WF long spear, WS Long Spear, WF short sword, improved unarmed combat, endurance, iron will, improved toughness.

This could be done by a 1st level human figher, although I would place Peers as at least 3rd level fighters.

(Gates of Fire) specifically said that the peers did not fight as solitary heroes, but as a massed unit of men. (Although they did have a few heroes)
Giving them improved BAB (a bad idea in general) is unjustified. Just add more levels.
everything you want: feats, BAB, Hp is just the result of more levels.

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
tanis said:
. . . in the meantime, take advantage of stupid DMs! :lol:
Ummm, i doubt any DM would be stupid enough to let this in his game. It is horribly unbalanced in many different ways > now, if in your campaign world you use different BAB and save progressions, then okay, i can see where you are coming from. But why should this guy get more feats than a standard fighter? I gave this class a 3 because i counted how many broken things there were from a quick veiw. 3 broken saves, 2 more attacks and 2 more feats/abilities than a fighter > 10 - 7 gets you your petty little three. I hope youare staisfied.

If you think illiteracy will keep these guys from being picked often, then your DM you play with must be a spartan (since, as you so cleverly stated, he or she is a big dumbass).

P.S. thanks EvilHalfling for the info

Child of Hypnos

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Feats for a Spartan Peer:
Tower shield, Phalanx fighting, Monkey Grip (long spear in one hand)
optional: Improved overrun(+PA), WF long spear, WS Long Spear, WF short sword, improved unarmed combat, endurance, iron will, improved toughness.

spartans didnt use tower shields, they used large bronze ones - closest in dnd would be a heavy wooden shield. the spartan shield could not possibly be used as total cover.

Nyaricus said:
DM you play with must be a spartan (since, as you so cleverly stated, he or she is a big dumbass).
what makes you think that spartans were dumb?

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
Child of Hypnos said:
what makes you think that spartans were dumb?
i was commenting on the fact that illiteracy is given to this class for better BAB than a fighter, another feat/ability, and broken saves. Basically, illiteracy was the only thing meant to refer to spartans as dumb-bums. They were only one of the best fighting forces on this planet, after all.

Remove ads