• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spear and Shield Fighter

Diomeneus

First Post
I've heard whispers of feats and classes that are closer to what i'm making then I am... just wondering who would like to contribute ot this build i'm starting (it links to the debate currently going on about TWF and shield spikes)

lvl 8 Human Fighter (9 feats: 1st, 3rd, 6th level, 5 fighter, 1 human)
Feats: shield spec (large steel), improved shield bash, Agile Shield Fighter, TWF, Weapon Focus (shortspear), Weapon Spec (shortspear), Melee Weapon Mastery (Piercing), Block arrow (Heroes of Battle feat), + one other feat.

you can all see where i'm going with this, so any inputs on the build idea?

castro3nw

First Post
just don't forget to get yer shield spiked, so it also does piercing.
nevermind you already said it.. apparently i can't read today.

Well, in the interests of me being less dumb and possibly useful...

Maybe also Ranged Weapon Mastery, and next feat pick up Shield Sling? That way you can throw the spear twice as far if it comes down to it, and at lvl 10 you can throw the shield twice as far too. And you still have the +2/+2 on it?

Last edited:

Darklone

So you think Agile Shield Fighter and TWF stack? Ah well...

I'd get some ranged combat feats, otherwise you're stuck in melee. PBS, Far shot.

castro3nw

First Post
PBS is pretty good, but i think Ranged Mastery (piercing) is potentially better for him than far shot. If he wants to throw the spear, Farshot doubles the range on it, Ranged Mastery adds 20 ft (to the 20 ft it already is) and gives it +2/+2.

Then I guess the question is raised "If you throw a spiked shield, is it still piercing?" If it is, Shield sling.. For when you really want to throw as much of your equipment as possible.

Then later, Quickdraw... (Can you quickdraw a spiked shield?) To full attack with thrown shields and spears?

Diomeneus

First Post
I'm fairly sure striaght by-the-book-rules say they stack, whether that was the intent or not (or simply forgotten when they added agile shield fighter) i do not know. Alas I plan to take advantage of it by making myself a spear and spike fighter!

kickass!

also... for when hes level 15... we then take Active shield defense and Defensive sweep... i get lots o' AC and he gets smacked in the face!

Ranged mastery it is!

and imagining a quickdrawing, spear and shield chucking warrior is too damned funny lol

Diomeneus

First Post
also, don't limit yourself to teh level i designated... and what book is htis skirmisher i keep hearing about in?

I haven't slept in nearly two days...

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
TWF and Agile Shield Fighter Don't stack-- its intended to be an either/or thing. The only reason to take both is so that you can qualify for improved 2WF, or the other feats that tree off of TWF-- but then, you'd have no reason for Agile Shield Fighter unless it was to fullfil some prereq on that end.

I suggest you take quickdraw and pointblank shot.

EDIT: Also, you should take Shield Ward, so that you get to add your shield bonus to touch ac, opposing trip, bullrush, disarm, grapples, etc. With a +2 Shield (easily affordable) and Shield Spec. you end up getting a +5 to all those things-- that is VERY useful. Next time you avoid a scortching ray, disarm, or avoid being grappled by a nasty thing, you'll thank me.

Last edited:

Moon-Lancer

First Post
hay Diomeneus, have you seen 300? wow that really made me want to play a spear warrior with shield bashing. I am guessing you have, or else you just have good timeing. anway, good luck. if your going pure fighter, you may want to take feats that grant benifits and tactics when your fighting side by side with alies, that is if your going for a exact 300 feel.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
They do stack as written, but to be honest if you aren't going for the rest of the ITWF and GTWF I don't think it's worth it for the +2 to hit with both weapons (okay it probably is but a hit bonus is dull, especially when your build doesn't have power attack to dump it in to). Ditch it to get Shield Charge. Then get Combat Expertise (surely they have this since they were virtually naked except for a shield) as the other feat and then when you level up Improved Trip (or get it earlier by ditching something different). That way you can charge your opponent knock then down the shield and finish them off with another attack, while they are on the floor. Seems much more "300" suited to me.

Diomeneus

First Post
oh I definately just saw 300 lol.

I've always been a fan of greek mythology and history, spartans in specific.

Heres my quicky of what a spartan should be! (everage soldier! not one of the captains)
i should just write up a spartan class... but this was like a 5 minute affair and kicked ass!!
they need awesome will saves too!
25 point buy system
20th level human fighter - region of origin, sparta (19 feats)
str 18 + 6
dex 16 + 6
con 16+6
int 8
wis 8
cha 8 (they are soldiers!)

Feats: Weapon focus (longsword,shortspear), weapon spec (longsword, shortspear), Melee weapon Mastery (Slashing, Piercing), Driving attack, Slashing fury, improved shield bash, shield spec, Agile Shield fighter, endurance, iron will, indominable soul (they are fearlesss!), Ranged weapon mastery (piercing), shield ward, Shield Wall (heroes of battle).

new shield: 'Spartan V' exotic
natives of sparta treat the spartan V as a martial instead of exotic.
it acts exactly as a large steel shield except it can grant cover instead of AC like a Tower shield and has one less ACP.

yes i know inventing a shield is unfair but i don't care! They blotted out the sun with their arrows and not one dropped! cover it is!

Remove ads