• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spear Specialization

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Pickaxe said:
What's wrong with the 3.5 version? Shortspear is one-handed and throwable, spear is two-handed and throwable, longspear is two-handed with reach. The only question is whether the spear should be one or two-handed (though you can still throw it, presumably with one hand). I suppose all those heroes from Greek mythology do use spear and shield quite a bit, but that could be shortspear.
One houserule I've seen is to declare the spear a 2-handed Simple weapon and a 1-handed Martial weapon. Works out much the way the bastard sword does. It seemed about the same as using a trident, in actual play.

ValhallaGH said:
One houserule I've seen is to declare the spear a 2-handed Simple weapon and a 1-handed Martial weapon. Works out much the way the bastard sword does. It seemed about the same as using a trident, in actual play.

Heh. I actually had that as an optional rule sidebar in the Dragon article when I submitted it, but (IIRC) it was cut somewhere in editing.

Drowbane

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Do consider Paizo (publisher of Dragon and Dungeon magazines) as a viable source, since they're sort of a subset of WotC? I contributed to an article on polearms a while back, and many of the feats and new weapons made it into the hardcover Dragon Compendium.

That was you?! Its all your fault!

Err, great article Mr Marimell. :D

Beckett

Explorer
ValhallaGH said:

Always kind of cool when I see someone else making the same houserules I have. I've basically replaced the trident with this one-handed spear. Damage and crit are same as a battle axe, just piercing, so I don't see a problem with it.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Beckett said:
Always kind of cool when I see someone else making the same houserules I have. I've basically replaced the trident with this one-handed spear. Damage and crit are same as a battle axe, just piercing, so I don't see a problem with it.
Well, I've got a chain of feats for the trident that makes trident and net (or just trident and other) an excellent weapon combination, so I see no reason to remove/replace the trident.
But yes, stat-wise it is simply a piercing, throwing battleaxe. Not inherently unbalancing.

Talic

First Post
I've got a current character focusing on the Greatspear. He's only 5th level at the moment, but here's what I've got and what I've planned for.

Power attack and Cleave are of course useful. But so far, I've gotten excellent mileage out of Combat Reflexes and Stand Still(XPH). Using Stand Still, I don't do any damage with AoOs when I use it, but I can easily prevent foes from closing with me or allies. It can be fun to bottle up entire groups that way too.

My character is a Goliath, so spending a feat to use a greatspear allows me to use a large version for 3d6 damage. Also, I plan to take Knockback(Races of Stone) to keep foes at length, but this requires a large character.

I chose to aim for the War Mind PRC for the various Chains and DR to improve combat ability. Sweeping strike could of course come in handy too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads