• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spearmage, Hammermage, Staffmage . . .

JPL

Adventurer
Are there any feats out there yet that allow something other than a heavy or light blade to work as the chosen weapon of a swordmage?

Seems like a very flavorful option, especially for racial weapons . . . a dwarf hammermage or half-orc axemage sounds pretty metal.

And a staffmage ("battlestaff"?) would be great, particularly as a wizard hybrid or multiclass. "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

mneme

Explorer
(that said, the swordmage warding feat only works with blades. OTOH, a Monk/Swordmage could reasonably use the monk AC feature, and use any weapon they were proficient with as a swordmage implement.)

No, but the only question would be something like what would be the impact of opening up essentially all these types of weapons as arcane implements? I don't think its a big deal and really if the feats are implemented right it should practically speaking be infeasible for a wizard to get access except via hybridizing.

In fact currently a hybrid with warlock can get access to a pact hammer. Its a bit limited but it is doable.

I'd just go for it if it was me. Simply give it to them. I really honestly can't see any reason why swordmages were ever limited to specific weapon types.

Aulirophile

First Post
Are there any feats out there yet that allow something other than a heavy or light blade to work as the chosen weapon of a swordmage?

Seems like a very flavorful option, especially for racial weapons . . . a dwarf hammermage or half-orc axemage sounds pretty metal.

And a staffmage ("battlestaff"?) would be great, particularly as a wizard hybrid or multiclass. "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"
Arcane Implement Proficiency. Will work with anything you can select from that (no hammers, staffs/axes work fine).

BobTheNob

First Post
Wow. Someone actually questioning rules for flavor purposes. Yipee!

Seriously, I cant see any real problem with opening up arcane weapon prof to any darn weapon you want. At the end of the day it will require some real careful deliberation (for instance, swords, which are currently acceptable, dont give the advantage of the extra accuracy to spells, so should an axe give high crit?) but really, flavor away.

Imagine going to get some icecream and being told the only flavor available was vanilla!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hey, at one time, Ford vehicles were available in any color you wanted...as long as you wanted black.

Were I running a 4Ed campaign, I don't think I'd have any problem treating Swordmages much the way that Spellswords were treated in 3.X. IOW, I'd let the PC pick a melee weapon type and go forward from there.

DracoSuave

First Post
No feats.

But you can do some fun things with the hybrid rules!

No longer correct.

According to the new Players Strategy Guide FAQ about hybrids and such, if you have a multiclass feat that says you can use that class's implement, it is no longer restricted to that class's powers.

That means a Warlock who multiclasses into, say, Invoker, can use staffs with his Warlock powers without any extra feats.

What this means for Hammermages.

The monk multiclass gives you monk implements, which are 'weapons you are proficient in.' Thereby if you are proficient in that hammer (you probably are if you're making a build around it) then you can use it as a monk implement.

And now, because of PSG's FAQ, that means you can use it with your swordmage powers.

This also means that Dillitante no longer sucks.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
STOP!

Hammermage!

tarionzcousin-albums-pictures-lily-picture995-hammer-mage.gif

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads