• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special attack as an AoO?

Zerakon

First Post
When you make an Attack of Opportunity, does it have to be a basic melee attack, or can it be a special attack such as Trip?

From the SRD: "An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack..." Does the use of melee attack in that context mean that the attack must be a "vanilla" attack, or that you can't use a ranged weapon to make one.

Darklone

Check out the Trip and other things... they are melee attacks. Not Sunder IIRC, but I think Trip and Grapple and Disarm...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Darklone said:
Check out the Trip and other things... they are melee attacks. Not Sunder IIRC, but I think Trip and Grapple and Disarm...

Sunder was changed in Rules Compendium.

If you check your PHB, Table 8-2 has a footnote 2 that states Trip, Grapple, and Disarm can be used as an AoO. In Rules Compendium, Sunder also gains this footnote.

-Hyp.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I've houseruled that AoO's can only be normal attacks.
Otherwise a handful of wolves can ruin someone's day with a huge number of trips.

Rath the Brown

First Post
BlueBlackRed said:
I've houseruled that AoO's can only be normal attacks.
Otherwise a handful of wolves can ruin someone's day with a huge number of trips.

How would that stop wolves from tripping? Wolves don't need to use the Trip action; they get to trip as free actions when making their normal bite attacks.

SRD said:
Trip (Ex): A wolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+1 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the wolf.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Rath the Brown said:
How would that stop wolves from tripping? Wolves don't need to use the Trip action; they get to trip as free actions when making their normal bite attacks.
Standing up from prone provokes one.

Two wolves on one PC.
One wolf trips a PC.
PC stands up, provokes an AoO from each wolf.
Each wolf gets a free attack and a chance to trip if hit.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
BlueBlackRed said:

Two wolves on one PC.
One wolf trips a PC.

It was ruled in the FAQ that you are still considered "prone" at the time you provoke that AoO, you aren't "standing" until you complete the action. So you can't trip someone as they stand up.

Even if you don't like the FAQ, that ruling does make trip attacks slightly less obnoxious.

Rath the Brown

First Post
BlueBlackRed said:

Two wolves on one PC.
One wolf trips a PC.

I use the "AoO interrupts the action", so this wouldn't fly in my games. You can't be tripped if you're already prone.

However, your houserule doesn't stop wolves from tripping because wolves don't make trip attacks as special attacks; they get to trip as part of their normal attack.

Your houserule would prevent anyone else from being able to trip someone who is trying to get away (provoking an AoO by leaving a threatened square). They'd only be able to make a normal attack. A wolf would get his normal attack and still be able to try to trip.

frankthedm

First Post
Rath the Brown said:
"free action"s generally do not get to happen when it is not one's actually turn. This can lead to issues with grapple, improved grab, quickdraw, ready actions, and the EX:Trip ability of canine monsters.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Rath the Brown said:
I use the "AoO interrupts the action", so this wouldn't fly in my games. You can't be tripped if you're already prone.
That's one reason it wouldn't fly per RAW, you can't be tripped if you're already prone. The other reason is as frank says, you can't use a free action not on your turn, so wolves can't trip on an AoO (unless explicitly using a trip and not a bite).

Remove ads