• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm still not feeling the template for these. I'm not sure why the prestige class has to be unbalanced, and presumably a template can be applied to critters with a range of HD.

The question was whether you prefer a prestige class for werejaguars or a prestige class for clerics. ;)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I'm still not feeling the template for these. I'm not sure why the prestige class has to be unbalanced, and presumably a template can be applied to critters with a range of HD.

The question was whether you prefer a prestige class for werejaguars or a prestige class for clerics. ;)
Catching up on this thread, I'm inclined to say that a prestige class makes more sense than a template, although I'd probably be just as happy leaving the werepriests to an underbar.

Cleon

Legend

Basically, I was fancying making the basic "Jaguar Priest" have 5 Hit Dice or so like the original monster and still have respectable (caster level 4-5?) spell casting.

That would mean putting all a werejaguars' goodies in a 5 level prestige class, which seems way to much, which is why I preferred the Template option.

Since it's human priests aspiring to be jaguars, making it a prestige class for clerics would seem to make more sense.

Anyhow, the longer this goes on the more I'm thinking this will end out with the Enworld version and the "Cleon Special".

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm still leaning toward the prestige class, but it'd be good to see what we have to work with. Can you paste in the Dragon #70 description?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
We're talking about these priests, right? :angel:

THE PROBLEM
In the past, the Mechicas paid homage to many different deities, favoring no one of them over any other. But now the tribe’s high priest, Emperor Cuactehmoc (pictured at right), has ordered that Tezcatlipoca (DDG p. 35) be appeased first and foremost, at the expense of Quetzalcoatl (DDG p.32). He has directed that war and chaos be spread through the surrounding countryside so that as many prisoners as possible can be cast upon the Risa stone. The leader has decided to overrun the area with (polymorphed) jaguars in honor of the most treacherous of deities. This, of course, is most pleasing to Tezcatlipoca, the “Smoking Mirror,” who cannot intervene directly on his own behalf because doing so would dangerously upset the delicate balance of power maintained by the deities. For similar reasons, no other deities feel safe in trying to intervene and keep Cuactehmoc from realizing his plans, because all of them fear upsetting the balance that exists between their various spheres of influence, and none of them want to risk doing something that might destroy that balance and thereby destroy the universe they all control.
The various Mechica clans, religious orders, and military orders are all united behind their emperor in an effort to capture as many prisoners as possible. Bands of Mechica warriors are spreading northward over the ridge of the Sapotec Mountains in search of victims.
When captured, prisoners are brought back to the Order of Jaguar Priests at Tenocatlan. These are the fiercest clerics of all the Mechica, for they inflict lycanthropy upon themselves, becoming werejaguars, as a part of their training and as a sign of their devotion. Even other Mechicas (those who are not Jaguar Priests) fear these clerics.
The Jaguar Priests, while in various stages of lycanthropy, cast prisoners on the Risa stone, a statue of a reclining man holding his hands on his chest. By forcing the victim down onto the stone on his or her back and uttering the proper words, the priests cause the vic- tim to be polymorphed into a jaguar. This state will remain until a dispel magic spell is cast by a magic-user of 16th level or higher. The polymorphed character(s) will otherwise follow the specifications of the polymorph others spell as described in the Players Handbook. The new "jaguar" is then set free — but the creature will quickly find itself subject to attack from any humanoids who come into contact with it, including Mechicas, who value jaguar skin for armor and decorative purposes.
In order to stop this spreading of evil, someone or some group of characters will eventually have to oust Cuactehmoc. To accomplish this, an individual or a party of adventurers will have to somehow get into Tenocatlan, since the Emperor never leaves the holy city unless a deity requires it.
The problem should not be related to the party directly by the DM; rather, the adventurers should be required to obtain information (from NPCs) that will make it clear to them what their goal should be, and then set about accomplishing that goal.

WEREJAGUAR
FREQUENCY: Very rare
NO. APPEARING: 1-12
ARMOR CLASS: 3
MOVE: 15"
HIT DICE: 5+3
% IN LAIR: 20%
TREASURE TYPE: R in lair
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-3/1-3/1-8
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Rake for 1-4/1-4
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Silver weapon or +1 or better weapon to hit
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Average
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic evil
SIZE: M
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
Attack/Defense Modes: Nil

Werejaguars are all members of the Order of Jaguar Priests and worship Tezcatlipoca. Except where indicated otherwise, they conform in all respects to the characteristics of lycanthropes as described in the Monster Manual. It is viewed by these priests as a sign of total devotion to take the physical form of their deity, and they willingly submit themselves to the ordeals of lycanthropy. The disease has a 28-day cycle: For one week the human cleric undergoes a slow change, growing claws, cat-like facial features, and the like. During this time, the werejaguar is still able to act as a cleric and maintain a "normal" day-to-day life. After one week, the cleric looks exactly like a large jaguar and will go out and prowl for victims. The werejaguar will attack any living creature, unless or until the jaguar's defeat seems unavoidable. Once engaged in combat, a were-jaguar will never surrender; escape will always be the preferred alternative to defeat whenever escape is possible. Otherwise, the cat will fight to the death. Werejaguars will never attack others of their own kind, but will attack other Mechicas just as they would any sort of humanoid.
After one week in jaguar form, the creature begins the week-long process of changing back to human form. After the change back is complete, the lycanthrope goes about his or her normal "human" routines. Werejaguars can cast cleric spells any time except during the week when they are in jaguar form. These creatures are never held accountable for their killings by the Mechica people while in jaguar form.

Cleon

Legend
We're talking about these priests, right? :angel:

WEREJAGUAR

Dang it, I was hoping to taunt Freyar a bit more before posting the stats. :p

Anyhow, as I said earlier, the only real difference between them and ordinary werejaguars is their unusual shapechanging cycle, it's just that I fancied statting them as a different monster.

It's just a question of thinking of something more interesting to give them than reworking the Alternate Form and giving them something like "Blessing of Tezcatlipoca" instead of Curse of Lycanthropy.

I suggested DR/obsidian instead of DR/silver, or we could make it obsidian and magic for added nastiness...

We could include a write up for the Risa Stone artifact, I suppose.

Oh, and we could stat-up Emperor Cuactehmoc, the 26th level cleric, as a Werejaguar - although I couldn't find any mention of him being a lycanthrope in the adventure.

Cleon

Legend
Anyhow, as I said earlier, the only real difference between them and ordinary werejaguars is their unusual shapechanging cycle, it's just that I fancied statting them as a different monster.

Speaking of their "unusual shapechanging cycle", for some reason I thought it was tied to the lunar cycle, but reading the entry that isn't the case. The timing can be different for each "Jaguar Priest", so you can have encounters with a mix of priests in the Human, Hybrid and Animal stages of their individual cycles.

Cleon

Legend
I just realized I left out the +8 racial bonus to Climb from the Werejaguar Working Draft:

Skills: In jaguar or hybrid form, werejaguars have a +6 racial bonus on Balance, Jump and Swim checks plus a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. It can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

It's fixed now.

Remove ads