• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Microscopic Monsters

Cleon

Legend
As someone who ran an epic level campaign for several years, I have plenty of love for complexity. ;) I'd just rather keep the basics simple, and make it as complex as I'd like with liberal doses of templates, prestige classes, and the like.

Running an Epic Level campaign for several is evidence for masochism, not a love of complexity. :eek:

I'm not feeling it. While it makes sense scientifically, they just don't strike me as oozes in the 3.5 game mechanics sense of the term.

What about them seems "unoozie", if you'll pardon the expression? There are some pretty peculiar Oozes in official sources.

Let's build 'em from scratch. The first ones will be the most difficult, as we can use them as building blocks for the later ones.

Okie-dokey.

If we're following the original it'll be easier doing separate stats for the Small/Medium/Large ones like we did for the Stone Spirits.

Shade

Monster Junkie
After giving this more thought, ooze probably is a good fit. The amoebic crawler from Dragon Magazine #330 solidified it for me.

Cleon said:
If we're following the original it'll be easier doing separate stats for the Small/Medium/Large ones like we did for the Stone Spirits.

Yeah, probably so.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I still think we can get away with a single stat block with an underbar noting the extra "bolts" at different sizes. Is there really any other nonstandard advancement?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I still think we can get away with a single stat block with an underbar noting the extra "bolts" at different sizes. Is there really any other nonstandard advancement?

Probably not. Let's try it that way and see if the need persists for separate statblocks.

Cleon

Legend
After giving this more thought, ooze probably is a good fit. The amoebic crawler from Dragon Magazine #330 solidified it for me.

Probably not. Let's try it that way and see if the need persists for separate statblocks.

Okay, let's start on a Small one and see how it goes.

I'll start by using a Grey Ooze's stats. The first issue is these are ranged attackers so ought to have higher Dex than most Ooze's have, otherwise they won't hit anything. I'll arbitrarily set its Str and Dex 10.

Giant Peridinium, Small
Small Ooze (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 1d10+4 (9 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: Swim 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+1 size, +2 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-4
Attack: Trichocyst +0 ranged (1d4)
Full Attack: 2 trichocysts +0 ranged (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blinding flash, trichocysts
Special Qualities: All-around facing, blindsight 60 ft., ooze traits
Saves: Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Weapon Finesse
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 10, Con 19, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills: Swim +8
Feats: —
Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary, colony (2-12)
Challenge Rating: 1?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 2 HD (Small); 3-4 HD (Medium); 5-8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

All-Around Facing (Ex): Peridinium have no "front" or "sides". They can sense and attack in all directions simultaneously and can not be flanked.

Blinding Flash (Ex): All creatures within 10 ft. must succeed at a DC 14 Reflex save or be blinded for 1d6+1 rounds, those that save are dazzled for 1 round instead. Creatures beyond 10 ft. but within 30 ft. must succeed at a DC 14 Reflex save or be blinded for 1 round. Once a peridinium uses blinding flash, it can't flash again until 1d4 rounds later. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Trichocysts (Ex):
Giant peridinium attack by firing spike-like projectiles called trichocysts from pores in their hide. A peridinium can fire multiple trichocysts as a full attack - 2 attacks for a Small peridinium, 4 attacks for a Medium peridinium and 6 attacks for a Large peridinium. Each trichocyst has a range of 30 ft. (50 ft. for a Medium peridinium, 90 ft. for Large) and does 1d4 piercing damage if it hits (1d6 for Medium, 1d8 for Large).

Peridinium have a limited supply of trichocysts; a Small peridinium typically has 40 such missiles, a Medium peridinium has 60 and a Large one has 100 trichocysts. It takes 2 hours for a peridinium to grow new trichocysts to replace any it has fired.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Why not just give them all-around vision instead of all-around facing? Other than that, it's pretty good. I supposed I'd prefer listing the number, range, and damage of trichocyst attacks and total trichocysts for Medium and Large versions in an advancement underbar, but it's ok as is.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Why not just give them all-around vision instead of all-around facing? Other than that, it's pretty good. I supposed I'd prefer listing the number, range, and damage of trichocyst attacks and total trichocysts for Medium and Large versions in an advancement underbar, but it's ok as is.

Yep, I agree with all of that. Facing in 3.5 = taboo. :-S

Oozes can't be flanked, anyway. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Yep, I agree with all of that. Facing in 3.5 = taboo. :-S

Taboos are there to be broken!

Oozes can't be flanked, anyway. ;)

Oh yes, might as well forget about it then.

The original monster have range bands for its trichocysts, but I thought that was more trouble than they're worth. Might as well make it explicit though.

Revising...

Trichocysts (Ex): Giant peridinium attack by firing spike-like projectiles called trichocysts from pores in their hide. A peridinium can fire multiple trichocysts as a full attack. Each trichocyst has a range of 30 ft. (no range increments) and does 1d4 points of piercing damage.

Remove ads