• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Materials (like Mitheral)

Ardenian

First Post
I'm looking forward to building a new character - and have decided on a Kensai (see Complete Warrior DnD v3.5) and his nitche is that he can spiritually enhance his sword, and he can also "enchant" it (+1, +5... ect) so - this unique weapon, must be of Masterwork quality.. and i was thinking of having one created out of an unusual material, and creating a backstory for it. I know there is a "Dark Steel" or some Drow metal that isnt listed in the basic reference materials.. so, in my long winded question, where can i find a complete list of materials?

TIA
[a]

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
as of now, there is no published WotC book with a complete list. However, the "Magic Item Compendium" will most likey have one considering that is where special materials ususally show up in the magic item sections.

Ardenian

First Post
thanks for the reply.

i guess that will help - but most of the magic items listed in the SRD dont have specific materials..

you'd think that this would be something really handy - but apparently not.

Aaron L

Hero
Could you possibly be thinking of Adamantine? (that Drow Steel you mentioned.) It's in the DMG. very hard metal, cuts through other materials like butter (even steel.) Drow used it extensively in earlier editions.

If you have access to Magic of Faerun there is an extensive list of special materials and metals (and gems,) very very nice.

rgard

Adventurer
Ardenian said:
I'm looking forward to building a new character - and have decided on a Kensai (see Complete Warrior DnD v3.5) and his nitche is that he can spiritually enhance his sword, and he can also "enchant" it (+1, +5... ect) so - this unique weapon, must be of Masterwork quality.. and i was thinking of having one created out of an unusual material, and creating a backstory for it. I know there is a "Dark Steel" or some Drow metal that isnt listed in the basic reference materials.. so, in my long winded question, where can i find a complete list of materials?

TIA
[a]

Abyssal Blood Iron. I think in the Fiendish Codex 1. My special material of choice.

Vanye

Explorer
There are multiple special materials in MAGIC OF FAERUN, from ones that have minor auras of heat and cold (do an additional 1 pt of cold or fire damage, cannot be imbued with the opposing elemental energy abilities) plus several others.

IcyCool

First Post
Mithral, Adamantine, Alchemical Silver, Cold Iron, Darkwood, Dragonhide, and Deep Crystal are all in the SRD. There are numerous varieties and other substances in various other books. Here's a list of a few others that I can remember:

Baatorian Greensteel (Planar Handbook)
Abyssal Bloodiron (Planar Handbook)
Bronzewood (ECS)
Flametouched Iron (ECS)

I think the Arms and Equipment Guide and the Complete Warrior have rules for weapons and armor made out of different (not necessarily beneficial) materials like bronze, bone, and stone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads