• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special offer on Boiling Water, apply now at the gate.

Cauldron of Boiling water
10 foot spread
2d6 fire damage
reflex half (DC 15)

This seem about right for dropping water out a murder hole?
And could how big a cauldron should 4 Kobolds be able to mtip, 1 use or multiple?

Kat'

First Post
2d6 is too high for boiling water that has flown a while through the air. Make it 1d6, same as Alchemical Fire.

The average Kobold has 7 Str and is small, meaning max load 52,5 lbs, and I'd say tipping is a mix between push and lift off ground, so let's say a single kobold could tip a 210 lb cauldron with a full-round action, with at least 1/3 of the weight being the cauldron itself.

Thanks Kat!

Hmmm, 1d6 seems a bit wimpy for 35 pints of boiling water (2/3rds of 210lbs, into 4 spaces) especially as the group are 6-7th level.

Does the reflex save seem right? Maybe i should drop it to 13 or so....

Having been inspired by Tucker's Kobolds I'm creating what I hope will be a very annoying warren :D

Kat'

First Post
Mmmh... boiling water isn't as hot as alchemist's fire, OTOH, there's more of it, hence the damage. If it's too low for you, how about making it 1d6 fire + 1d6 subdual from the shock?

The Reflex save's fine, it's the same as for a tanglefoot bag, and should prove challenging enough for lvl 6-7 chars with low Reflex saves (meatshields, divine casters, and so on).

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I agree that 2d6 seems a bit high but then 1d6 is way too low imo too. Maybe try 2d4? Now I don't really see the point in using water at all. I'd just use boiling oil which could actually do the 2d6 or even a bit more.

green slime

First Post
But why use boiling water? Boiling oil is the standard fare... And by that, I don't think they meant the oil you put in cars, but the oil you use in your frying pan.

2d6 seems right to me.

Well, water is cheap and plentiful - but what the hell! I want these Kobolds to be hated & feared. Flaming hot boiling tar it is!

The party are:
Paladin 7
Barbarian 7
druid 7
cleric 6
rougue 6
bard 6
All core & unoptimised

My intention is for a corridor to have 2 portcullis traps 10 feet appart/ one cuts off their retreat and the other splits the party in two (reflex dc15 lets you jump either side).

While the party try to reunite, their pelted with hot tar from the murder holes in the ceiling (then prodded with longspears once this is exhausted) Kobolds with crossbows appear in the corridor behind them and in front, catching them in a deadly crossfire. The intention is to lure them into the Kobold's cavern 'o traps and then harry them from concealed & inaccesible firing positions.

I figure search (DC:25) to find Kobold secret doors- but these won't have locks on the players side and would have to be smashed open. Spot (dc:25) or search (dc15) to find murder holes before they're used.

green slime

First Post
Remember that you don't really want to slaughter the PC's, only humiliate them. So allow them some method or three to get away and reconsider their fortunes.

No wizard? You got it easy!

Remove ads