• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special "Resistances"

The Little Raven

First Post
In my campaign, I have granted certain creatures special resistances that I've seen no other monster possess: holy and unholy resistance.

For example, one of my players is a 9th-level paladin, who wields a +1 holy bastard sword. He went toe-to-toe with the champion of an underground cult, who detected as evil as they come. However, when his blade struck and the holy damage was negated, his jaw dropped. I gave the villain resistance to holy 10, and it absorbed all the holy damage he had inflicted.

What do you think about resistances like these? Creatures that are resistant to certain kinds of special damage, like holy, unholy, axiomatic, and anarchic. What about positive and negative energy? Imagine an undead creature that laughs and absorbs your cure spells instead of being hurt.

After my players discovered the new resistances, they caught on pretty quickly and began to like it. The paladin now bears a shield that grants him resistance to unholy 10. After they settled into these new resistances, though they are skewed towards monsters since the PCs rely more on equipment than monsters, I sprung a new surprise on them which was more in their favor.

They came up against the cult leader again, now at 12th level, and in the first round dropped a fireball on him, watched me drop a d20 behind my screen, then inform them that the flames lick around him, but don't touch him... spell resistance. A few rounds of failing spells, and rough melee combat, and the cleric throws his last spell... holy smite. Without rolling a d20, I tell the player to roll his damage, then make my Will save. After the game, I explain that the villain had a special spell resistance... which his sheet listed as "spell resistance 30/good" which applies to any spell that does not have the [Good] descriptor.

I'm still feeling this out with them, but what do you people think of these rules?

Magic Slim

First Post
I'd say this is fine if

a) The characters know about this stuff (ie their character is high-level, and should be aware of such possibilities, in order to prepare spells and buy equipment accordingly)
b) The characters have access to similar magic / protections

Slim

Darklone

Ehm, wouldn't some magical item that "cloaks" your alignment make you immune against holy or unholy weapons :D?

The Little Raven

First Post
Darklone said:
Ehm, wouldn't some magical item that "cloaks" your alignment make you immune against holy or unholy weapons :D?

You mean undetectable alignment and such spells? No, those merely mask the character from detection... a holy weapon does not need to know you are evil in order to work.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
The damage reduction sounds interesting, though personally I'd think an evil villain would have a vulnerability to holy, rather than a resistance. Still, that's just a personal feeling. In general, you've basically just made the alignments into true energies, complete with their own corresponding resistances.

The spell resistance bothers me though, if you are adding it to things that do not already have spell resistance. Since spellcasters have no ready way to add descriptors to their magic in the same way meleers can add energies, this creates a very strong defense against most magics.

For instance, save for summoning a Celestial with Summon Monster spells, how could a wizard manage to defeat SR 30/good? The answer: he probably couldn't. So unless you've taken a creature that already has SR 30 (like a Balor, maybe. I'd have to look through the MM,) you're introducing a major handicap to spellcasters without giving them any way to defeat it. Suddenly, the world is filled with Iron Golems.

You might get around this by creating "Alignment Rods" that, when held, add the appropriate alignment descriptor to all spells cast, or something similar. This would allow a wizard to cast a [Good] fireball, at the expense of buying the rod.

Otherwise, I cringe for the spellcasters in your game.

MorganKiller

First Post
It's pretty tough to beat such a SR...
You couldn't beat it with Sacred Spell... And it uses a Spell Slot two levels higher!
What about a Metamagic Feat "Axiomatic Substitution"? Like Energy Substitution, adding [good] damage instead of [fire] to a Fireball.

Ok, who's a good boy then? :D

Archer

First Post
Changing a vulnerability into an immunity is usually annoying, like trolls immune to fire and acid and thus cannot be killed short of a wish or miracle.

Universal energy immunity and major elemental immunity are powers worth hundreds of thousands or millions of gc. SR 30/good sounds more appropriate to level 21+ play.

Remove ads