• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Unit 2

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Anyone ever heard of or watched a television show called "Special Unit 2"? I hadn't heard of it until I caught an episode on the Scifi Channel this evening. I did some research....it's about a special unit of the Chicago PD who specializes in investigating and stopping criminals of supernatural variety. They've fought gargoyles, a medusa, a mummy, spider-women, some kind of flseh golem, mermen, a witch, a jinn, and even a dragon.

This seems like a ready made D20 Modern campaign.

Anyone do something similar? Anyone see this show?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It's an old UPN show. I really hate how Sci-Fi dusts off old TV shows and airs them like "Wow, look at that!". I mean, they might be good, but if you get too attached, you're out of luck because they are long dead and cancelled.

Anyway, the concept in RPGs goes back to the early 80s, with Bureau 13, which is exactly the same premise, except it's a federal agency, not local. (And seriously, I find it hard to believe the city of Chicago would have a special PD like that. Given it's Chicago, one of the most horrid cities in the world in terms of local government. Not to mention, all the dead voters there would be against it)

Even that "Department 7" which gets mentioned in d20 Modern is from a TV show - the Omega Factor (though it wasn't so supernatural as paranormal)

Last edited:

Wycen

Explorer
It was a fun show. A rare show where I liked all the characters and it was a natural for gamers. They may have even done a second season, but maybe that was another cool UPN show cancelled for no reason. It was probably getting crappy ratings but I never heard a reason for why it was cancelled.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Kheti sa-Menik said:
Anyone ever heard of or watched a television show called "Special Unit 2"? I hadn't heard of it until I caught an episode on the Scifi Channel this evening. I did some research....it's about a special unit of the Chicago PD who specializes in investigating and stopping criminals of supernatural variety. They've fought gargoyles, a medusa, a mummy, spider-women, some kind of flseh golem, mermen, a witch, a jinn, and even a dragon.

If you have d20 Modern Core Rulebook, you might find that the [smallcaps]Shadow Chasers[/smallcaps] campaign model description mentioned the series (among others).

I loved that show. It was, in fact, SU2 that first inspired me to create the Shadow Branch setting that MonkeyGod was going to publish before they went under. :(

Wycen

Explorer
I completely forgot to mention our modern based game organization.

BOA. Brotherhood of Apocrypha. We never defined the fake acronym, Bureau of whatever. We had minor police powers and essentially were kinda like the SU2, though not so much of the missing link type monsters and not very many gadgets.

This campaign actually started (and ended) before the series and we just never got into it that deep.

Kheti sa-Menik said:

Anyone do something similar? Anyone see this show?
It was a fun show, and we even played in a Special Unit 2 inspired campaign. We mostly used D20 Modern with Urban Arcana, and transferred the SU 2 ideas to Germany. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads