• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Specific Dragonshard Item question

Hitman187

First Post
Item in question: Bloodstone Blade,
Reference to item: Page 51 of Players guide to Eberron.
I don't know if I'm legally allowed to type out the full description of the item but I have to questions about the item.
Q#1: In the base description it says the weapon does not need to be recharged, but latter it says it works as a weapon of storing (for vampric touch, which becomes automatically empowered, only).
Q#2: The item is a +1 longsword plus the on hit (automaticly empowered) vampric touch. The total price is 12,315 subtract the cost of the masterwork longsword that is 12,000. I stopped playing 3.5 ever since pathfinder came out and was wondering if someone wanted to help me break this into a formula for how much that should cost. In Pathfinder when multiple enchantments (beyond just basic +x) are on an item the cost of the less expensive enchantments are multiplied by 1.5, is this true for 3.5 as well. And how much more would it cost to make it maximized instead of/with empowered?
Thanks in advance to anyone who aids me.
P.S. this is a Eberron game based useing pathfinder rules, but our GM is friendly with rule changes concerning Eberron/3.5 to Pathfinder.

First, welcome to the boards!

The *1.5 cost rule for additional magical abilities is in Pathfinder and comes from 3.5, but that's not necessarily what you're looking at here.

You can post the full-text of the ability for discussion purposes, and that'll help make things a little easier to answer.

Hitman187

First Post
Bloodstone Blade
A bloodstone blade is a +1longsword containing an Eberron dragonshard attuned to the vampiric touch spell, allowing that spell to be delivered by the blade repeatedly without recharging, and in an empowered form.
Description:(details on physical appearance)
Activation: When you strike a creature with a bloodstone blade and the creature takes damage from the weapon, the weapon can deliver the effect of a vampiric touch spell as a free action if you desire.
Effect: a bloodstone blade can hold a vampiric touch spell as if it were a spell storing weapon. Any such spell is automatically empowered by the blade, even if the original caster does not have Empower spell feat. As with a normal spell storing weapon, the vampiric touch effect uses the original caster's caster level. No more than one such spell can be held by a bloodstone blade at anytime, and no spell other than vampiric touch can be stored within the weapon.
Aura/Caster Level: Strong evocation and necromancy; CL 12th.
Construction: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, vampiric touch, 12th-level caster, 6,315 gp, 480 XP, 12 days. Creating a bloodstone blade requires first attuning the Eberron dragonshard to the spell it will hold (see page 265 of the Eberron Campaign Settings for details).
Weight: 4 lb.
Price: 12,315 gp.

Page 265 just says attuning a dragon shard cost 100g (50 if you do it yourself) and 1 day which I believe is included in price/construction.

First off, I'd ignore the "repeatedly without recharging" part; that seems a little overpowered to me, and is not borne out in the remaining rules text.

12,315 = 12,000 + MW Longsword, as you pointed out.

So, 12,000 gp remain to calculate.

Spell Storing is a +1 equivalent, so this sword is, at minimum, a +2 weapon. A +2 weapon costs 8,000gp, which leaves us with 4,000gp to come up with.

A metmagic rod of empower (lesser) affects up to 3rd-level spells, 3x per day, for 9,000gp. Since it can only be applied to one spell (though it works every time you cast it), give it an ~50% haircut on the price, and you've right near the 12,000gp price.

It's a little unscientific, but unfortunately I do not believe that this weapon was calculated using a formula. I think the "always empowers, but only one spell, and only when used in this weapon" is enough to trigger the "Discount for Limitations" rule.

What's your goal? If it's to take one and make it a more powerful weapon (e.g., a flaming bloodstone blade), I've probably provided enough info to get you started. If it's something else, we might need to chat more. :D

Hitman187

First Post
First off, I'd ignore the "repeatedly without recharging" part; that seems a little overpowered to me, and is not borne out in the remaining rules text.

True having VT proc every hit seems overpowered; but having to recast VT on it every time i don't see the point of the weapon. VT is a touch spell which is easier to hit with than a sword in most cases, and all the extra complications for just changing a longsword of storing for an extra 3-4 damage and temp HP per casting into it, of only one spell seems highly underpowered.

My goal was to make it Maximize Spell instead, if not both.
I am making a new character for a high level game, 13th level Eberron setting with Pathfinder rules; unfortunately I have to be the tank, 75% of physical damage, the only melee, and the miscellaneous tracker/scout/diplomat. Had this weapon worked every hit I would be able to turn myself into a tank just by hitting back, ideally gaining 36 (or 72 with Maximize and Empower) temp hp per hit, to offset my lower HP and AC.

While trying to derive a formula earlier I came up with this, although your "formula" sounded a little more legitimate.
12,315-MW longsword=12000-+1enchant=10,000-price for dragonshard atonement=9,900/spell level (3+2 from empower)=1980/caster level(9 min) =220. So it would look like
MW weapon+dragonshard+enchantment bonus+(220*effective spell level*effective CL)
If my formula is correct i cauclated a Maximize/Empowered +1 Bloodstone blade would cost around 30,500 (bumbping the CL up from 15 to 16 for the extra 1d6)

Last edited:

Hey - I was flipping through the Magic Item Compendium earlier today for unrelated reasons, and I came across the "Bloodstone" ability.

It is, essentially, a non-Eberronized version of the sword's ability you're looking at (e.g., it doesn't mention a dragonshard :D ).

It costs a +1 bonus, just like spell storing.

So, that might make things easier for you - I'd maybe make Maximizing it cost a +2 bonus.

Hitman187

First Post
So in your opinion it is just a fancy spell storing weapon not a on hit cast?
Because my class i was going to be can't cast vampiric touch, and that would make the whole item useless.. ;(
thanks by the way man

Yep - it's just a fancy spell storing weapon.

Unlike a normal spell storing weapon, it can only hold one spell. But, also unlike a normal spell storing weapon, it automatically empowers that spell when you cast it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads