• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speculation on the Monster In The Darkness [OotS]

Pojo

First Post
It's a Zodar.

Zodar are six foot tall smooth black suits of armor with two eye slits as their only distinguishing feature. The interior of the armor is all muscle. They weigh five hundred pounds, can lift and throw masts of ships like javelins due to an incredibly high strength score, and do not speak (as established in Start of Darkness, this is a unique feature to the MiTD as opposed to the rest of his race). They're immune to all environmental effects and can only be harmed by bludgeoning damage, and they NEVER have less than 16 HD, though they can have more. Three times in their life they can cause any spell to manifest as though they cast it. Once in their life, they can cause a limited Wish effect to occur - like, say, I don't know, "Escape!", maybe?

The only feature that does not match is their naturally high int and wis score, which can be explained by his status as a youngling in an assumably incredibly long-lived race (note that the MiTD can read and play complex games as well as discern magical rituals that a theurge cannot - it's highly distractible and incredibly gullible and lazy, not dumb). Personality differences (Zodar are stoic and mysterious) are related to the fact that it has no idea what race it is and has no experience in being a Zodar - it only knew its dad and its dad was kind of an odd duck. Everything fits, even things like being able to hold umbrellas and being described as terrifying, yet strangely beautiful.

These guys are straight out of Spelljammer and updated in the 2003 Fiend Folio, and Burlew has noted that the MiTD is both guessable and something he pulled out of an obscure sourcebook, not homebrewed. And nobody else has guessed it, which means that he's doing a bloody amazing job at keeping it a secret. So in conclusion, I'm awesome?

countgray

First Post
Why not? It's certainly one of the more colorable guesses I have seen. Only Rich knows for sure. But zodar certainly seems to fit the evidence.

I will count it as a "maybe".

Remove ads