• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Speed Zero and prone

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Agree that the rules for making things prone can result in situations that go from high fantasy aerial combat to undignified rocket tag.

Which rules? The most expedient way I know of knocking something prone involves the Shove attack, which is hard to use against ANYTHING that's flying because it's a melee attack, and is hard to use against anything with a decent STR score or DEX score (so both small fliers, like pixies, and large fliers, like dragons, are pretty good at resisting). If my players want to waste spells and actions making the fighter fly up to melee with the dragon all alone and spend a few rounds hoping for a lucky roll, I'd say they're more than welcome to, and my dragon is quite deserving of his plummet if they're successful!

Besides, anything that makes the dragon want to land is good for an epic fight - a dragon who didn't have to land would basically not be a critter the whole party could have fun taking out!

eMalc

First Post
Eh, guts have dumb feelings. Use that brain! Why would it be wrong?

Careful now, your brain told you to say that - of course it's going to think itself more important than your gut.

But no I'd agree the ruling on this seems pretty clear. I'd love to hear more on the story of the villain being drowned in a puddle though.

jgsugden

Legend
RAW: No.
RAI/RAF: If you feel that your character should be able to stand based upon the reason their speed is 0, ask the DM. Whatever the ruling is, accept it and move on (or throw a massive tantrum and quit the game - nothing in between).

Rune

Once A Fool
This is really the first edition in which grappling is awesome (and a viable choice). Part of this is because the rules are finally easy to remember and use and part of it is precisely because a grappled prone creature must escape (which an ally can assist, by the way) before it can stand up. This adds an exciting dynamic to any fight, changing things up from a mere trading of blows.

If the rule makes you want to use it as a player and makes the DM want to see the players use it, it is working as intended.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Prone and Grapple resulted in a PC in my game drowning a rather nasty villian in a puddle on a city street. It was a rather ignoble end for a rather proud villian.

Sir, you get mad props for allowing that to happen, rather than weaseling a way out for the villain. I'll bet that's a gaming story the PCs tell for years.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Drowning a bad guy in a puddle is awesome. Much cooler than being hacked up by a greataxe.

I also agree that the 'falling out of the sky when proned' rules are there precisely so that you don't have boring high speed flyers that most of the party can't engage.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Well what i find odd that how can you keep a guy down using one hand, and still be able to defend yourself effectively. Only chimps and orangutans have arm length that reaches to ground while still staying upwards.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads