• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell: Alter Self

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The spell is even (slightly) stronger for Small humanoids, because they can get a size increase out of it. The increased movement rate and use of larger weapons can be very useful at times.

A Medium character can't do the same, because there are no Large humanoids in the core rules.

UltimaGabe

First Post
Keep in mind, of course, that although you can use it to give yourself a fly speed, the Fly spell is still far superior in speed and maneuverability.

Ferret

Explorer
Can you still just have wings ( specific body parts?)? Or is it now only humanoids in 3.5? I was thinking if you knew the shape of a key, yu could change the bone in a finger to fit that shape and voila, a key! make shift lock picking things two!

Prism

Explorer
Liquidsabre said:
Though I'm intrigued by the possible ramifications of the caster being an Outsider. Does that mean they can only change into another Outsider type? That would be *twitch*....something.

Being a planetouched or other outsider certainly gives you a lot of options ranging from the spinagon (devil) with its 120' fly speed, or air mephit if you want perfect manueverability to a minor xorn with a decent burrow speed plus a +12 natural amour.

Once you get to polymorph then some of the outsider forms are very powerful

DarkMaster

First Post
Ferret said:
Can you still just have wings ( specific body parts?)? Or is it now only humanoids in 3.5? I was thinking if you knew the shape of a key, yu could change the bone in a finger to fit that shape and voila, a key! make shift lock picking things two!

I allow it, but anyone using this spell to fly is seriously penalysed when performing other things than flying. Plus I limit the time they can fly without being tired. The spell gives them wings but not the knowledge and training to fly. If they want to cast a spell I impose a concentration check, if they want to fight or shoot projectile I apply a -6 penality to hit and so on. The flying ability becomes more a utility ability than a fighting one. Same thing if they change in a aquatic form without any swiming skill. I also limit their speed and maneuvrability.

The Hanged Man

First Post
Change away. Enjoy the new form, and the modest NA and movement increases. Overall, it's effects are pretty modest, at least in the core rules.

Outsiders seem cool for Alter Self, until you realize that you give up at least one caster level for access to those outsider forms.

Tarlonniel

First Post
Another question

"You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include.... racial skill bonuses, racial bonus feats..."

So if my druid (a Gnome) transforms into a half-Elf, she gets the +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks plus the +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks. Correct? So what happens if she transforms into a human? Does she get 4 + 1/lvl more skill points to put wherever she chooses? And what about that 1st level bonus feat?

wraith8

First Post
Incidentally, at high levels this spell can be useful too.

It DOES NOT cause any penalites or bonuses when changing size. So if you're affected by righteous might or enlarge person, you can alter form to....yourself and appear to be the same size as normal, while still benefitting from the dr, str and con improvements of righteous might.....

Makes such an effect unknown to the enemy.....useful if you're enemy likes to dispell all your buffs.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'm bordering on House Rules here, but it's because I want the spell to remain useful even in my reduced-racial-palette setting. This is to remain true to the spirit of the spell, while re-interpreting some of the letter of the spell.

I interpret the spell to allow you to do either or both of the following:

1) Gain specific physical appearence for the purpose of disguise. Works as stated in the rules.

2) Gain gross physical features, such as gills, scales, claw/bite attacks or wings. You may gain one of the following benefits:
- Winged flight (30 ft., Poor).
- Climb speed (1/2 land speed).
- Water breathing + "fins" (+8 on Swim checks, may always take 10).
- Claws and/or bite appropriate for size (1d4/1d6 for Medium, 1d3/1d4 for Small).
- Scales or tough hide (+3 Natural Armor bonus, maximum scales like Barkskin).

-- N

Remove ads