• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Balance Question for Sublime Revelry

Aluvial

Explorer
This spell is from the Book of Exalted Deeds.

It is a 9th level Cleric spell. It has two functions, and last 1 min/level and effects ALL comrades close to the cleric (burst I believe). The first effect is fine (stops poisons, disease, and a host of other things), the second concerns me.

Basically, the second effect reduces all melee and ranged attack damage from any source by one-half for all who receive the spell, minimally 17 minutes.

Does this seem overdone, or is it ok for a 9th level spell? My fix would involve changing the text to say that the secondary effect of 1/2 damage would only effect the caster. What would you think of that fix if you think it is too overpowered?

Aluvial

Thanee

First Post
Doesn't seem too bad to me. It has a 1 round casting time, which makes it hard to cast this in combat. And even half melee/ranged damage is a lot at those levels. ;) Besides, it doesn't change spell damage and stuff like that.

Bye
Thanee

Aluvial

Explorer
I just have a hard time with it. I have 8 18th to 20th level PC's and this spell gets cast before every known encounter, because it is just a round to cast, and it lasts so long. I find that the spell negates nearly every type of physical encounter, mainly because the group can dish out so much damage in a round.

I had my Cleric cast this, and then a Turn Attempt Maximized Fire Storm, essentially blanketing two 10'x10' areas per level with over 100 hp of damage and a high as hell save. He wiped out an encampment of 9th level barbarians in one shot, while the fighters wade in and finish it off, essntially immune to the attacks of their foes with high AC. When an attack did pop through (and I'm talking about a +18 to attacks still missing) the PC in question then just takes half HP, to his 200+ HP.

I don't even want to talk about the encounter with the Older than God Red Dragon we just had.... They had that spell then also and defeated the Dragon in 10 rounds with only one death. I guess I played the Dragon wrong, but who knows...

I think the spell is overpowered.

Aluvial

Infiniti2000

First Post
One comment I need to make is that at such high levels, it is very difficult to figure out what is broken. It could be so many things. It's very hard to distinguish one broken spell from other or if they're both just extremely powerful. In the example you presented, I would not even have thought twice about sublime revelry and instead thought that divine metamagic was broken (and I think it is -- I don't think you should allowed metamagicking spells above the highest level you can cast). If not that, then maybe the encounter occurred as expected. After all, the fighters could have apparently just waded into battle hand-to-hand with nary a scratch.

About the dragon -- a lot of people play dragons 'wrong' (or rather, not to their full potential). It happens, don't worry about it. This is a side issue, so please excuse the digression, but I feel this happens because those same DMs don't like using dragons at lower levels. They feel (and I hear this from them) that dragons should be powerful and not so common at lower levels. Well, what that breeds is a total infamiliarity with dragons at any level. Now, this might not be you, or it might be, who knows. Unless you want to get into it, and can handle criticism, then don't worry about it.

As it stands, I agree that the spell is a little too strong. There are a number of spells in BoXD that I don't like for the same reason. I really didn't like the spontaneous ability to cast sanctified spells (changed that to preparedness only and the cleric IMC, and I as a player, still uses them). Elation as another example is WAY too powerful. I changed that to target: one creature (close range), and I still use (I also play an exalted cleric). Anyway, the keypoint on this is that you really need to take a closer inspection at spells that affect 1 creature/level or worse, all creatures in an area.

PS Before someone mentions it, throwing out the whole book is really a give-up, cruddy attitude. There are really a lot of nice ideas in BoXD and those shouldn't be disregarded out of hand.

Scharlata

First Post
Aluvial said:
[...]I think the spell is overpowered.

Hi!

So tag a X,000 XP Cost to it and see yourself if the player in question casts the spell on a regular basis. If she does, the spell is overpowered. :]

Kind regards

Last edited:

Abstraction

First Post
Do you think 9th level barbarians should be an encounter of much difficulty for a party of this level? If the encounter with the dragon took 10 rounds and produced a character death, it would seem that it was a very difficult encounter, actually. Are you trying to TPK?

UltimaGabe

First Post
Aluvial said:
I just have a hard time with it. I have 8 18th to 20th level PC's and this spell gets cast before every known encounter, because it is just a round to cast, and it lasts so long. I find that the spell negates nearly every type of physical encounter, mainly because the group can dish out so much damage in a round.

I had my Cleric cast this, and then a Turn Attempt Maximized Fire Storm, essentially blanketing two 10'x10' areas per level with over 100 hp of damage and a high as hell save. He wiped out an encampment of 9th level barbarians in one shot, while the fighters wade in and finish it off, essntially immune to the attacks of their foes with high AC. When an attack did pop through (and I'm talking about a +18 to attacks still missing) the PC in question then just takes half HP, to his 200+ HP.

I don't even want to talk about the encounter with the Older than God Red Dragon we just had.... They had that spell then also and defeated the Dragon in 10 rounds with only one death. I guess I played the Dragon wrong, but who knows...

I think the spell is overpowered.

Aluvial

The first problem, in my opinion, is the fact that you've got 8 characters, all at least 18th level. If there's at least two Clerics in the group (and I dare to wonder if there's even two Arcane spellcasters) then very little should be a challenge for your group, broken 9th level spell or not. The second, of course, is the challenges on your party. No single monster is going to be a challenge for eight opponents anywhere near its CR (that is, unless it's a CR 30something, a group of 8 PCs shouldn't have any trouble with it whatsoever). Not only that, but since when is an army of 9th-level characters a challenge for a character with 9th-level spells, let alone an entire group of 9th-level spells? And the third thing is that you're making way too big of a deal. If the party has to spend at least one 9th level spell before EVERY ENCOUNTER, then the only thing they're doing is using up their resources. How many encounters do you throw at them a day? Do you let them rest after every one? If that's the case, no wonder they have no qualms about using near-epic buffs before every battle! I mean, it sounds like a good spell, but how is it broken if it uses up a huge amount of resources for a single battle?

It sounds to me like you're making an Lich's crypt out of a Zombie horde (or, to use the vernacular, a mountain out of a molehill). It doesn't sound at all like the spell has any problem with it- it sounds like you're not sending the challenges you should be for a party of that size and that level, you're giving them too many opportunities to replenish resources, and you're not noticing how little of an effect the spell's actually having. Don't be surprised if they do things that surprise you- they're 8 18th+ level characters. If I was throwing around 9th-level spells, you'd have a lot more to worry about that reducing damage, trust me.

Aluvial

Explorer
Thanks for all of the comments.
Infiniti2000 said:
One comment I need to make is that at such high levels, it is very difficult to figure out what is broken. It could be so many things. It's very hard to distinguish one broken spell from other or if they're both just extremely powerful. In the example you presented, I would not even have thought twice about sublime revelry and instead thought that divine metamagic was broken (and I think it is -- I don't think you should allowed metamagicking spells above the highest level you can cast). If not that, then maybe the encounter occurred as expected. After all, the fighters could have apparently just waded into battle hand-to-hand with nary a scratch.

About the dragon -- a lot of people play dragons 'wrong' (or rather, not to their full potential). It happens, don't worry about it. This is a side issue, so please excuse the digression, but I feel this happens because those same DMs don't like using dragons at lower levels. They feel (and I hear this from them) that dragons should be powerful and not so common at lower levels. Well, what that breeds is a total infamiliarity with dragons at any level. Now, this might not be you, or it might be, who knows. Unless you want to get into it, and can handle criticism, then don't worry about it.
Playing a bunch of high level characters is a problem. Let me explain the current encounter some. They are facing off against around 105 9th level barbarians and their leaders. Thre are 12 clerics of 10th level, one high level druid, and a tough, BBG around CR22. Some of the barbarians have flying mounts (chimeras) and there are four giant monks of 6th level. The group is assaulting a hill top where the bad guys are camped. I thought that this would be a tough fight, but in 8 rounds, they've decimated the barbarians and the bulk of the captains, taken out all four monks, and ruduced the bulk of the chimera riders and the clerics to ash. At the end of their surprise and squad tactics, the leaders took flight to fight another day.

As for the dragon, I'd love to talk about it. It took me four hours to design with the help of the Draconomicon, Epic, and the MM (3.5). I used a computer (E-tools) for the initial design. Once I loaded the dragon with a host of great sorcerer and cleric spells, I gave the dragon surprise, with 5 rounds of prep spells, including a Time Stop for an additional three rounds of prep. The Dragon's Lair was underground, but large enough for the dragon to Wingover for another Flyby Attack or breath weapon routine. SR was high, abilities were high, I even assumed that once the dragon had adopted a high enough INT, and enough 9th level spells, it cast repeated wishes on itself to boost its stats by +4; all of the ability scores. The first attack was from invisability and hit the group with a Maximized Breath Weapon. WHAM! Killed the Wizard. Singed some, others evaded. Then I flew into a perch high above to cast spells and wait for the breath weapon to return. The group was grounded due to Dragon Lair Protections of some such nonsense. Essentially no fly or levitation. So how did they do it. The dimension doored, they teleported, they even managed to stun the dragon for a round to allow the fighters a shot at him. I thought I had it in the bag with all the prep, and yes, I was looking to end the campaign right then and there. They beat it! It was tight, but they pulled it out. Anyhow, I can take critizism, lay it on me!
UltimaGabe said:
The first problem, in my opinion, is the fact that you've got 8 characters, all at least 18th level. If there's at least two Clerics in the group (and I dare to wonder if there's even two Arcane spellcasters) then very little should be a challenge for your group, broken 9th level spell or not. The second, of course, is the challenges on your party. No single monster is going to be a challenge for eight opponents anywhere near its CR (that is, unless it's a CR 30something, a group of 8 PCs shouldn't have any trouble with it whatsoever). Not only that, but since when is an army of 9th-level characters a challenge for a character with 9th-level spells, let alone an entire group of 9th-level spells? And the third thing is that you're making way too big of a deal. If the party has to spend at least one 9th level spell before EVERY ENCOUNTER, then the only thing they're doing is using up their resources. How many encounters do you throw at them a day? Do you let them rest after every one? If that's the case, no wonder they have no qualms about using near-epic buffs before every battle! I mean, it sounds like a good spell, but how is it broken if it uses up a huge amount of resources for a single battle?

It sounds to me like you're making an Lich's crypt out of a Zombie horde (or, to use the vernacular, a mountain out of a molehill). It doesn't sound at all like the spell has any problem with it- it sounds like you're not sending the challenges you should be for a party of that size and that level, you're giving them too many opportunities to replenish resources, and you're not noticing how little of an effect the spell's actually having. Don't be surprised if they do things that surprise you- they're 8 18th+ level characters. If I was throwing around 9th-level spells, you'd have a lot more to worry about that reducing damage, trust me.
In both cases, the group is just able to assorb to much HP with the spell. I could see it effecting less, but since I have eight, it just does too much help, at the end of the first 7 rounds of combat, the group in the barbarian camp raid have taken in most cases, less than 10% of their total HP. Toss in the fact that the cleric can cast a Mass Heal, twice, and that's 250 HP X 8 PCs X two spells; it's a lot to overcome.

My thought now is to invent the counter spell and ask if it is balanced. How about a 9th level cleric spell that allowed all of your comrades to add 50% to all of their damage? Does that sound broken?

Aluvial

Remove ads