• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell book question

Tranzquility

First Post
Hello, I have a quick question. I know this has proboly been covered before but i cant find it in the forms so here it goes. I am trying to find a way to help my players keep track of there spells like a spell sheet and i was wondering if any one has an improved version of this or if they just have any ideas on how I can design one. Thank you
-Tranzquility-

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
Last time we played D&D I played a wizard, and I just typed up a spell list in Excel. One worksheet per spell level, all formatted the same way (landscape, narrow margins, all columns fit onto one page).

I had columns for name, saving throw type (if any), range, duration, area, components (VSM/F), the page number and book the full spell description could be found in, a brief summary of the effects (including any expensive foci or components required), and then a Y/N column for whether it was affected by spell resistance. ...That last one got added after we started to hit the levels where spell resistance started to show up, because before then I didn't know I needed it. ;)

Anyway, the final version of those worksheets basically covered all the information I felt I really needed to have on-hand when playing. (I marked it up with pencil later on to keep track of which spells were in which spellbook, but never made it part of the "official" worksheet.) In practice, this worked out almost perfectly for our game, since it kept my spell list legible and readily accessible; any time I needed to decide what my wizard was memorizing or which spell to cast, I could read off the important stuff right away without having to fumble through three or four different books.

Assuming you don't find a freeware or commercial software package that does all of that for you, you might consider advising your players to try the same thing. After the initial hassle of getting it formatted the way I wanted, updating it was a breeze: five minutes in front of the keyboard typing in whatever new spells I'd acquired, print out new copies of the worksheets for those spell levels, and I was ready for next week.

The only real downside to it is that it's utterly impractical for clerics, druids, or similar casters, since they have access to so many spells. We never found a good answer for that problem: our cleric's player tried spell cards, but she found that there were still too many to keep track of.

--
and besides, she kept losing cards
ryan

Tranzquility

First Post
What i would like is if people would post how they handel spells in there games and maybe magic weapons these are the 2 things i am having problems with because they wont fit on normal character sheets.

Patman21967

First Post
Tran...go to the downloads section, and there is Steve's version 3.5 spell sheet...it is an auto calculating sheet in excel...the best one I have seen....If you can't find it, email me at

Patman21967@cs.com

and I can forward a copy to you...

Wikid Klown

First Post
For the magic weapon thing, you could put the name under weapon, and under notes put the enchantments, when listing it under "other posessions", abbreviate or just put the name of the weapon (the later for weight purposes, the first if you plan on selling it).

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Might I suggest
www.emass-web.com

Awesome character sheet with every spell from the core books on through to some of the more recent updates. Full quick stat block including short description and page reference.

The only problem is that if you print out the whole thing, it's 60-odd pages long...

Staffan

Legend
I made cleric and druid spellbooks from the SRD, sorting the spells by level and having domains added at the end along with stats for summonable monsters/nature's allies.

dagger

Adventurer
I usually just print out and use the spell parts of this character sheet, great for spellcasters.

Saeviomagy said:
Might I suggest
www.emass-web.com

Awesome character sheet with every spell from the core books on through to some of the more recent updates. Full quick stat block including short description and page reference.

The only problem is that if you print out the whole thing, it's 60-odd pages long...

Remove ads