• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spell casting and prestage classes

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Ok, this is really embarrassing, but i had not thought of it until now, or maybe its just late.

If I take 5 levels of wizard and then 10 levels of a prc, what happens when i go back into wizard? Does my casting progress as if I were a 15th level caster, or does it progress as if it were 5th level still and do i get more low level spell slots.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
Ok, this is really embarrassing, but i had not thought of it until now, or maybe its just late.

If I take 5 levels of wizard and then 10 levels of a prc, what happens when i go back into wizard? Does my casting progress as if I were a 15th level caster, or does it progress as if it were 5th level still and do i get more low level spell slots.

Assuming the prestige class adds 10 levels of effective spellcaster level, you're now effectively a 16th-level wizard in regards to spellcasting (i.e. you get 8th-level spells and your big damage spells deal 16d6). Other class abilities aren't improved, though (your familiar has the abilities of a 6th-level wizard's one, and you don't get the bonus feats for level 10 and 15).

If the PrC doesn't add effective spellcaster levels (or they're restricted, like only divine stuff), you're a wiz6 now.

Some PrCs add levels, but not all the time. For example, the most current bladesinger write-up grants +1 spellcasting every other level. Eldritch knight grants +1 on every level except 1st, and so on.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads