• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell casting prestige classes

ChefOrc

First Post
A wizard takes a level in a prestige class that has the "+ 1 level of existing class" ability. Does he get two new "free" spells in his spellbook, just like when he gains a wizard level? Or is this a wizard only ability?

ChefOrc

First Post
When it says that the spell caster gains known spells, I thought this refered specifically to the sorcerer, not to the wizard's "free" spells. Wizard spells are not known, they are written in a spellbook. No?

Last edited:

werk

First Post
ChefOrc said:
When it says that the spell caster gains known spells, I thought this refered specifically to the sorcerer, not to the wizard's "free" spells. Wizard spells are not known, they are written in a spellbook. No?
The spells were written in the book by the wizard, and are effectively considered his known spells...the spells he has to pick from when preparing.

I play it such that the wizard has the spell prepared (memorized), then expends it by scribing it into the spellbook, much like creating a scroll. When the wizard achieves a new level, he automatically has new spells memorized, which he then transcribes.

Edit: These new spells cannot be cast, since they were not prepared.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
ChefOrc said:

A spell book is how a Wizard keeps track of his "spells known".
Spellbooks are different than a Sorcerer's innate "spells known" -- a Wizard can add to them when he's not leveling up, and the spellbook can be lost, stolen, or destroyed by immersion in liquid magma.

It's still "spells known".

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads