• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Compendium, Three Spell Questions

Snifferdoo

First Post
1. With the Amorphous Form spell you basically turn into a boneless blob that can fit throught a 2 inch crack, So can you be grappled in this form?

2. With the Irongaurd spell you are immune to metal. It just passes right through you. What does that mean for the damage that arrows cause?

3. The Blacklight spell states:
"You create an area of total darkness. The darkness is impenetrable to normal and darkvision, but you can see normally within the blacklit area. Creatures outside the spell's area, even you, cannot see through it."

This spell is a 20ft. radius. I understand that when you are outside of it you can't see into the area of effect and it says that if you are inside the effect you can see normally. But what is not clear (to me anyway) is if you are inside the spell if you can see beyond the spells area effect to the outside world. Or if you are inside do you just see a black wall surrounding you. Plus what about True Seeing? Would that see through it?

Thanks for any help or ideas. :)

frankthedm

First Post
Snifferdoo said:
1. With the Amorphous Form spell you basically turn into a boneless blob that can fit throught a 2 inch crack, So can you be grappled in this form?
Yes. Many Amorphous monsters make extensive use of the grapple rules.

2. With the Irongaurd spell you are immune to metal. It just passes right through you. What does that mean for the damage that arrows cause?
I'd say 1d3 blunt+mods, if he attack roll, disregarding enhancement bonuses, was succesful.

3. The Blacklight spell states:
"You create an area of total darkness. The darkness is impenetrable to normal and darkvision, but you can see normally within the blacklit area. Creatures outside the spell's area, even you, cannot see through it."
If you are seeing normaly within the area of Blacklight, there would be no dark barrier at the 20' radius since that too would be part of Blacklight's area.

Last edited:

eamon

Explorer
Though the rules (AFAIK?) don't say so, you should at the very least automatically succeed at escaping from a grapple. I could image that you could be initially grappled; though it's probably impossible to achieve much but a bit of damage. Would constrict work? I find it odd, though again, I can find explicit rules disallowing it.

If the arrows have a metal heads, l would think that immunity to metal would seriously reduce the effectiveness. Half damage, change type to bludgeoning? I would certainly limit the effectiveness of high str and magic arrows as well. You could also simply rule that it deals a flat 1d6 nonlethal damage for simplicity, or some such thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads