• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Component Pouch

Aestolia

First Post
This may seem like a silly question, but for those who think ""outside the box"" it matters.

Players Hand Book - P.130 said:
Spell Component Pouch: This small, watertight leather belt pouch has many compartments. A spellcaster with a spell component pouch is assumed to have all the material components and focuses needed for spellcasting, except for those components that have a specific cost, divine focuses, and focuses that wouldn't fir in a pouch.
How do you rule a spell component pouch stays stocked - is it assumed and not mentioned that the caster is always stopping and picking (sometimes literally) up crap, or do you rule (maybe in a magic heavy world) that it stays magically stocked?

nittanytbone

First Post
I assume they collect the odds and ends on a daily basis. Adventuring in a cave? Grab some bat guano. Outside? Grab a pinch of dust. At a halfling trader's camp? I bet they have a bit of wire I can have for a copper.

irdeggman

First Post
That is a good one and depends on how you run your game.

IMC - it is done behind the scenes. I assume the caster is adding things as he goes (like how a wizard does the research to gain his 2 new spells per level).

In a game I'm playing in (and running a sorcerer) - the DM is "talking" about having to restock the items. Now I don't know what that means yer but will find out as soon as I can. I have a feeling that he is pretty much going to nix the spell component pouch (as written) and make me have to "find" and "acquire" the components. Which is fine, but I think it iwrong to add that to the the cost of the item itself. At 5 gp it costs more than a back pack.

Aestolia

First Post
I agree completely and always thought about the same lines, i was asked this because of the Launch Bolt cantrip.

"so... can i just keep pulling out bolts from my pouch?"

I was considering letting them have it simply because of the non-standard way of thinking, and going by letter of the law rather than spirit. Of course, i wouldn't of made it a standard thing, more of a bonus for that one character for asking about it.

I generally play casters, and out of old 2.0 habits always saying, "if i see any X i'm picking it up..." "I'm taking some of the fur..." "etc etc...." The way i see it... Ghoul Flesh may not have a cost associated with it... but i wouldn't consider it standard pouch fare...

Kat'

First Post
You know, neither do we wonder how often or when the chars eat, drink, wash or fulfill other physical needs. Gamers somehow suppose that "it just happens" and seldom waste thoughts on it. I'd put "filling up the spell pouch" in the same category.

irdeggman

First Post
Aestolia said:
I agree completely and always thought about the same lines, i was asked this because of the Launch Bolt cantrip.

"so... can i just keep pulling out bolts from my pouch?"

The answer to this one is clearly no.

For 2 reasons.

1. A crossbow bolt has a specific cost (1 gp/10 bolts)

2. They wouldn't fit in the pouch.

Spell Component Pouch: A spellcaster with a spell component pouch is assumed to have all the material components and focuses needed for spellcasting, except for those components that have a specific cost, divine focuses, and focuses that wouldn’t fit in a pouch.

While it specifies focuses it is pretty logical that this "size" issue applies to any component.

Aestolia

First Post
I know, it has a specific cost, but as for the size, it would depend on the kind of x-bow... bolts are no where near as large as arrows.

You may be able to get a light bolt in the pouch, you could certainly get a hand bold into the pouch.

As i said though i was considering giving it more out of the 'interesting way of thinking' rather than the intended use.

irdeggman

First Post
Aestolia said:
I know, it has a specific cost, but as for the size, it would depend on the kind of x-bow... bolts are no where near as large as arrows.

You may be able to get a light bolt in the pouch, you could certainly get a hand bold into the pouch.

As i said though i was considering giving it more out of the 'interesting way of thinking' rather than the intended use.

Be careful not to neuter the feat eschew materials by allowing the spell component pouch to do too much.

It has a limit of 1 gp for material components - which would clearly work for bolts, since they are less than 1 gp each

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads