D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Blaise offers a smile for the beautiful captain, "It's a long story, captain. It's part of a debt I owe. The shortest version is that the gem was used for a horrific evil once. It's not a story that I care to repeat sober, but I will not allow it to be used in such a way again. It has a twin as well. Both of the gems should be on La Gloriosa. The gems have a rightful home and a rightful owner. I intend to recover them both and will not trust either to anyone else."

"We do all have our reasons for searching out that ship, , probably most of them best told with bellies full of rum." She caught just a sliver of movement approaching out of the corner of her eye yet stayed relaxed. "I may have to take you up on that offer of yours one of these days. Sooner rather than later, perhaps."

"Speak to de crew?" Nia asks, a little puzzled. "De crew of de ship that cursed treasure came from? And what's this about makin' an enemy of Blackbeard?"

Blaise turns to see that Nia had silently joined them. His eyebrows arched in slight surprise before smiling sweetly at her. "The captain and I were discussing the road ahead. I was hoping that we might take the time to speak with Van Djik to find out what secrets he is holding from Blackbeard before he dies. He was the former captain of the Coral Curse that Blackbeard offered as the other way to earn the ship. He might be able to tell us about the djab that we'll be facing as well. Blackbeard most likely didn't expect us to find the treasure as quickly as we did so we have some extra time to stack as much of the deck in our favor as we can."

"As for whether Blackbeard is our enemy or friend, I was just counseling the Captain that there may come a point where his interests and our own are no longer aligned. While we shouldn't hasten that day, we should be prepared for its coming."

"I thought you and I had once spoken about contacting those remaining from Van Djik's crew, or the Captain himself, though it certainly could have been a foggy mind from lack of sleep over those long two days, Nia. Now that we have this additional information from Blackbeard, it might not be a bad idea to meet with him, to see what secrets he hides before he leaves this world.

As for the other, I hope to keep Blackbeard an ally, if not outright, at least not have him as an enemy. We were just speaking in what-if's, or more likely when's, as is likely to happen when Pirates are involved,"
the dark haired girl chuckled.

Fenris

Adventurer
Zef is hunched over carefully copying the scrolls into his own grimore. He sticks up a stubby, ink covered finger to show he wants to speak, but needs to finish the complex glyphs that make up the spell.

Craxking his knuckles he adds in "Yeah, lets find the crew as we can. Knowledge is always useful. And rum loosens tongues. But the captain is right, no one will know how long it takes us to retrieve anything. So we can go back to the caves should she wish, or to Blackbeard now, or wait and talk to sailors. I don't think it will sway anything, nor make an enemy of Blackbeard, for I believe we will still deliver the treasure for we are still in need of the ship, ja?" says the old dwarf before downing an entire bottle of rum and sticking his nose back to copy the strange markings they had found.

Fenris

Adventurer
Zef is hunched over carefully copying the scrolls into his own grimore. He sticks up a stubby, ink covered finger to show he wants to speak, but needs to finish the complex glyphs that make up the spell.

Craxking his knuckles he adds in "Yeah, lets find the crew as we can. Knowledge is always useful. And rum loosens tongues. But the captain is right, no one will know how long it takes us to retrieve anything. So we can go back to the caves should she wish, or to Blackbeard now, or wait and talk to sailors. I don't think it will sway anything, nor make an enemy of Blackbeard, for I believe we will still deliver the treasure for we are still in need of the ship, ja?" says the old dwarf before downing an entire bottle of rum and sticking his nose back to copy the strange markings they had found.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Mind your own task old man, we haven't asked your opinion," Katerina rolled her green eyes at the old dwarf, growing impatient with his antics.

"Now tell us, what have you learned about that book?"

Shayuri

First Post
Nia shrugs. "De longer we have the treasure, de greater the chance someting will go wrong. But de more we know of the djab, de better our odds are. Talking to de captain could be useful."

Fenris

Adventurer
"Mind your own task old man, we haven't asked your opinion," Katerina rolled her green eyes at the old dwarf, growing impatient with his antics.

"Now tell us, what have you learned about that book?"

Zeff looks up from the book "It is a dark and powerful book. With prophecies about an upstart captain getting paddled like she was a wee one again kleindochter" says Zeff ominously before cracking a smile. "It does though contain many tales of mysteries at sea. Whether true or not it cannot be said, but a full copy would I think be helpful if we intend to turn it over."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Zeff looks up from the book "It is a dark and powerful book. With prophecies about an upstart captain getting paddled like she was a wee one again kleindochter" says Zeff ominously before cracking a smile. "It does though contain many tales of mysteries at sea. Whether true or not it cannot be said, but a full copy would I think be helpful if we intend to turn it over."

Kat narrowed her eyes at the crusty dwarf but in the end just shook her head.

"Can the entire thing be copied? Why do you think it's so valuable? Is it magical? I doubt you'd be bothering to write it out if it wasn't."

The Captain turned her attentions back to the two standing with her while waiting for the very old man to answer. "There are crew left too that we could try, though Blackbeard only mentioned the Captain having whatever secret he is searching for."

Kat tapped at her lips. "We definitely need more crew. We need to get going on this, we need more officers we can trust so we can send people out to take care of some of these other chores for us. If we have to take care of every little thing, we'll never get off this blasted island and precious time is slipping away..." Lost in her thoughts momentarily you get the feeling she's not exactly referring to leaving.

A quick shake of her head, which sends Bella off her shoulder with a startled squeak and a jump, brings her back with more focus, "The two of you, and Zef, obviously, I can trust you. Well, I never trust anyone but as much as I trust someone in these matters. Etienne, wherever he's gotten off too, seems slightly less reliable perhaps but still worthy of accomplishing tasks. But we need more, someone who can perhaps be trusted with funds and begin recruiting more crew for us and start scouting out certain harder to get supplies. Like, say, a diving bell?" Her cheeky grin has returned.

Fenris

Adventurer
"It is hard to say. These could be simply a collection of fables, monsters, lost seas. But I think not. There is always some kernel of truth in these old stories at the least. If this helps us escape or avoid even one danger of the sea it will have been worth it. And if not you know me mija. I drink rum and I know things." says Zef taking a big swig of rum as if to punctuate and prove his own statement.

OOC: Sorry couldn't resist the reference

Fenris

Adventurer
Blaise arched an eyebrow towards the dwarf, "How long would it take to make a copy of the book and what supplies would you need?"

The dwarf shrugged "Longer than we have if we are to turn over the book. However, we can get at least some of this copied. We need parchement or a blank book, lots of ink and the most precious resource, time."

Remove ads