D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"No. If he already worked for Wallace, he would have done all he could to stay on your crew...and Wallace's man would not have boddered to ply him wit' expensive drink," Nia replied in a low voice.

"If he takes the offer, he may give dem information...but he does not yet know what he needs to know to hurt us badly. It may even help us if he gives de Captain an angry report of your pigheadedness, and leads dem to believe you lack any sense at all... Having your enemies underestimate you, even a little, gives you a head start in any race."

"Pigheadedness?!? Why I..." She smiles and shakes her head. "This has been some night. I am definitely overconsuming at the end of it!" She considers all the native's words then puts a hand on Nia's shoulder. "You are right again my wise friend. I must keep you around! I don't usually trust so easily but it comes naturally with you for some reason." Kat shrugs, "The question is, do we keep that bullheaded man on our crew? Du Tourbillon chose him for this trip for a reason. While I would rather walk the plank than ask him back, I wonder if he has skills we need..."

Shayuri

First Post
"At the very least," Nia points out with the ghost of a smirk playing around her lips, "He may have the trust of Captain Wallace soon. Let us wait a little...let him wiggle his way into dere confidence. Den he will have someting of value for us, beyond whatever else he brings to de table. And it gives you time to decide what place you want him in, and what you are willing to offer him to stand dere."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina nods in agreement. "It would be just lovely to end up with that sort of information. Let's hope we get the drop on those muscles over there. We sorely need that type among us, though I imagine they will be hard to control. We also need to get going so we can get on with other night time activities. I suppose I have to prepare to help in case the dwarf and the doctor need some help." She adjusts her corset to show more ample skin while a smirk crosses her lips. "What we won't do..." Her eyes flick to the arm wrestling competition. "Did you mention how far this ship of yours is? Reachable tonight? Or is it a trek?"

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Oh, tonight," Nia confirms. "We will go to it after dis."

Katerina sighs as she looks between her flask and out the front windows. She nods in agreement and puts the flask away. "Tonight it is then, after this we will go check out your boat. For now, let's go watch the fireworks." She nods to the woman to join her if she likes, then goes over to the arm wrestling matches, positioning herself so she can be a distraction to Gvido if necessary.

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: Btw, since this issue was raised: I don't mean to have everyone need to stand around watching one or two PCs in the spotlight at a time. For example, you don't need to stand around watching Doctor Varlok insult arm wrestle...though you can if you want (or have a trick up your sleeve)!

There's lots of hijinx to get involved with, and few other crew members to recruit, in Blackreef's Tavern. I've tried to drop subtle clues about fun stuff to do or relevant people to approach, but I may be *too* subtle sometimes because I feel strongly that you guys should have the freedom to go in the direction you want (or just enjoy PC-PC banter) without a heavy-handed DM ;) Explore a little, and you'll find lots that's both relevant to your quest and more fun than a barrel full of rum monkeys!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[SBLOCK=Sailor to Barrington]
"I understand you've had a bit of falling out with that group of scallywags? Forget that lot. Cap'n Wallace is interested in men like you, men who understand that everything and everyone has their place on a ship. Mostly he's looking for divers now," he says gruffly, giving Barrington a knowing look, the only hint of the nature of the English privateer Read Wallace's expedition so far. "But we...lost a gunner recently, and could use a man who knows his way around a powder crew. What say you, Mr. Barrington? Are you ready to sail under the strong arm of Cap'n Wallace?"[/SBLOCK]

Barrington looks at the man and pulls up a chair, as they continue their conversation. He looks intrigued.

[sblock=Barrington to Kells, and to the Observant]
"Your hospitality is appreciated, Mr. Kells, and your choice of beverages well beyond my palate. I am grateful for the opportunity to enjoy the sherry. You'll make a sack drinker of me yet."

"As it turns out, I am seeking a position, and you clearly know enough of me that you know I can command a gunnery flank. Your Captain's reputation goes before him."

Barrington has been at the receiving end of Wallace's cannon in the past, but it is unlikely he knows this.

"I've not seen the Winchelsea. With them, I had hope to have some say in the ship, but I expect you are better equipped. And of course, you have a ship. The promise offered by this prize is tantalizing, and it is something in which I intend to have a share."

"Perhaps there will be opportunity in the morning to inspect the guns and meet the captain?"

"It also occurs to me that there might be some of your men in the pub here; I'd be interested in meeting them, and perhaps stand them a drink. I won't insult you with the same offer after the kindness you have just shown, Mr. Kells, "
Barrington demurs. If returning for the sack seems appropriate, he can do so, but offering the man his own drink doesn't seem right.

"So tell me about the Winchelsea."
[/sblock]

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Quickleaf [SBLOCK]
OOC: I'd like to see if I remember some information about good ol Captain Reed. WIth the way I'm rolling, I am probably wasting my time. But, I'm going to try anyway. I'm not sure what I roll? Wisdom or Intelligence?
[/SBLOCK]

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [SBLOCK]
OOC: Sure, it's an Intelligence (History) check. A high roll probably means Katarina was opposed to him at one point.

One thing you'll notice I do with "knowledge checks" is that I always qualify them with where or how your character learned the information. So when making such checks be advised that I am likely to interject little things about your character's past (using the backgrounds you've written as a guideline of course). I find this helps create interesting connections and also discourages "pile on" knowledge checks. I know lots of DMs probably don't do this and treat "knowledge skills" more...blandly....so if anyone takes issue when I do this, just give me a heads up.
[/SBLOCK]

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] [SBLOCK]
OOC: Sure, it's an Intelligence (History) check. A high roll probably means Katarina was opposed to him at one point.

One thing you'll notice I do with "knowledge checks" is that I always qualify them with where or how your character learned the information. So when making such checks be advised that I am likely to interject little things about your character's past (using the backgrounds you've written as a guideline of course). I find this helps create interesting connections and also discourages "pile on" knowledge checks. I know lots of DMs probably don't do this and treat "knowledge skills" more...blandly....so if anyone takes issue when I do this, just give me a heads up.
[/SBLOCK]

Quickleaf
[SBLOCK]I love that about you! I'm the grirl who doesn't read the monster manual because I WANT to be surprised, I want to not know how to defeat it automatically. So,I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy you adding little tidbits to my history.

That said, Jesus, Mary and Joseph why do I bother???? I am surprised I know my own name.

Intelligence (History of Wallace Reed) (1d20+1=7)

Oh, one other thing. It doesn't matter too much though. I am subscribed to the thread, so I get every update and I always look when I can. So, you don't have to do a mention, cause then I get two emails instead of one lol. If it makes you feel better you can do it, just letting you know :) [/SBLOCK]

Remove ads