• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Unsung

First Post
OOC: ...Rolls! Right, right. Here we go:

Cantrip chill touch against D'avard - ranged spell attack 1d20 + 6 Wis vs AC = [roll0]
Wisdom (Perception) check to detect any unusual reaction or telltale signs of D'avard's (possibly) undead nature - 1d20 + 6 Wis = [roll1]

The ancient mariner crouches lower, leaning away from the windowframe. His eye narrows as he tilts his neck, tossing the splintered wood to one side.

Observing the effects on the [other?] window, Caillou leans further back into the comforting gloom of the house, watching D'avard's remaining gun in case it comes to bear on him.

OOC: If I wanted Gunner Teague to deliberately try and hold D'avard's attention from inside the house, would I roll anything? Stealth for myself, for example? On a related note, did you picture the house as having more than one window [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]? One on either side of the door, for instance?

Fenris

Adventurer
Zef looks over to Katarina."Lass what did I always tell you? You don't bring a knife to a gun fight and you don't bring a pistol to an artillery fight" grins the old dwarf. Old Zef peeks through the slats in the window, he mumbles a few arcane words as his fingers do a strange dance. Suddenly three jets of fires shoot out from his fingers streaking towards D'avard.

[sblock=Attack]]
Scorching ray
1d20+5=25, 1d20+5=20, 1d20+5=19

Critical Hit: 4d6=9
Second and Third rays
2d6=9, 2d6=4
And fire damage of course
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"Let us see what he is hiding," Nia murmurs. She rattles some of the bangles on her wrists, and suddenly jerks; arching her back as if she'd stepped on an electric wire on the ground. Her eyes widen and stare sightlessly at the ceiling...and with a trembling hand she points up.

She speaks a string of siblant, nonsense syllables...like someone speaking in tongues...then wrenches herself back upright and rubs her temples with an irritated expression. Peeking outside again she said aloud, "Dat one. De one moving towards de house."

The night sky above brightened, and vertigo swept over anyone looking up. The stars seemed to whirl and wheel, and the moon swelled visibly from a crescent to a blazing disc of silver light. Not just a full moon, but something else entirely. That metallic white light focused down on D'avard, transfixing him. There was a pulse...a sudden surge of brightness that traveled down that beam.

And then it was all gone. The sky was still, the moon normal, and all that was left was the dull ache at the back of one's brain. Had it ever really happened? And if not, what did?

(OOC - casting Moonbeam on D'avard)

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: If I wanted Gunner Teague to deliberately try and hold D'avard's attention from inside the house, would I roll anything? Stealth for myself, for example? On a related note, did you picture the house as having more than one window [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]? One on either side of the door, for instance?
OOC: Yeah, roll a DC 13 Stealth check for Caillou, and we'll treat that as Gunner Teague drawing fire from D'avard (at least until a more enticing target presents itself).

Yeah, I was picturing the house having a window on either side of the door. Probably some more windows or a backdoor on the far wall, and possibly a few windows upstairs?

Quickleaf

Legend
As D'avard advances with his single pistol, he snarls as he senses something moving thru the dark knee-high grasses of the clearing. He is in the midst of reloading when a spectral hand grasps at his knees, clawing its way up to his torso to latch on there, leaving fell steaming wounds in its wake. In the dim light, it might just be the imagination of those watching what might scientifically be explained as a snake or a sudden epileptic fit. Feeling the hand of death over his heart, D'avard grimaces but presses on undaunted. "You'll need to do better than that, Bokor!"

OOC: Caillou's chill touch hit D'avard, so [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION] roll your damage: 1d8 necrotic damage.

Also, Caillou is convinced that D'avard is not undead, because the dead know their own and there would have been more creepiness when the spectral hand grasped D'avard's chest if the corsair were undead.

"Bokor" is a Voodoo term for what amounts to warlock, or more generically any spellcaster who dabbles in the dark arts.

Soon enough, D'avard's taunt is met threefold by Old Zef's barrage of fiery missiles which burn away the corsair's vest and necklace, and singe his hair down to the eyebrows. He discards the remnants of his sizzling vest with a savage cry. "Damn you! I'll have your tongue, dwarf!"

He has scarcely made it another three paces, and begun to load shot and wadding into the pistol, when D'avard stares transfixed at the moon and is abruptly engulfed in a flash of silvery white light which causes him to yowl in pain, his voice making an inhuman sound that evokes the terror of the sea. Sparks of burning liquid moonlight seem to drip from D'avard in his relentless advance, and pure malice and hate now burn in his eyes. Now, men! Show these bokors what you're made of!"

OOC: D'avard DC14 Constitution save vs. Nia's moonbeam, with disadvantage: fails 1d20+2=11, 1d20+2=11
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] roll your moonbeam damage: 2d10 radiant. Also, from the pain it seems to cause him, Nia guesses that D'avard is a shapeshifter, though she can't tell what kind.

Six pirates sprint from the edge of the jungle, bounding over the ridge they were ducking behind for cover. Their weaponry is irregular and their tactics are sloppy, making up for lack of battle discipline with sheer fury. Three dash toward the damaged window guarded by Teague, opening fire with their pistols at 60 paces; the wooden boards eat up a near miss, but the others' aim is wildly off. A chorus of pistol fire echoes across the clearing, and a thin haze of pistol smoke drifts above the clearing. Two more pirates go running past their firing comrades, drawing hatchets and pistols, closing to 30 paces away from the front door. One wielding a musket has been creeping thru the grass and reveals himself at just 40 paces, rising to a knee and lines up a shot at the window Caillou and Nia are behind; the force of his musket ball blasts several boards off the window, showering Caillou and Nia in wood splinters, and the musket ball grazes the side of Nia's head, leaving a line of crimson there.

OOC: Gangly Pirate shoots pistol at Teague (AC = 12 + 2 half cover = 14), disadvantage long range: 1d20+2=4, 1d20+2=22 misses
Arm-in-Sling Pirate shoots pistol at Teague (AC = 12 + 2 half cover = 14), disadvantage long range: 1d20+2=3, 1d20+2=11 misses

One-Eyed Pirate shoots pistol at Old Zef (AC = 11 + 2 half cover = 13), disadvantage long range: 1d20+2=15, 1d20+2=8 misses

Bandana Pirate shoots musket at Nia (AC = 14 + 5 three-quarters cover = 19): 1d20+2=21 hits, and reduces protection of other boarded window to half cover (+2 AC), so both boarded windows are just half-cover now.

Nia takes 3 damage 1d12+2=3

Barrington is still in hot pursuit of the Spanish rifleman who is in a mad dash toward the pirates in the clearing, waving his arms and shouting, "Help! Ayuda! The Englishman!" Hastily, he draws his pistol from his belt, though he has no time to fire as he is concerned only with running as fast as his feet will carry him.

OOC: @Kobold Stew see my last OOC post to you. There was a check Barrington needs to make to try and overtake the Spaniard.

OOC: Initiative
Katerina 4
D'Avard 4
Barrington 3
Caillou 3
Nia Steeleyes 3
Spanish Rifleman & Pirates 3/2
Old Zef 1

NOTE: When there's a cluster of PCs with the same initiative - like Barrington, Caillou, and Nia - those players can post in whichever order you want, or whoever happens to post first. Sort of semi-group initiative that way.

NOTE #2: Lorelei, Magnusson, and Gunner Teague act on Caillou's initiative count.

D'Avard AC 12/13; HP 58 39
Pirates (6) AC12; Ugly HP 27 Red-bearded HP 27 Bandana HP 27 One-Eyed HP 27 Gangly HP 25 Arm-in-Sling HP 16
Spanish Rifleman (Spy; MM) AC 12; HP 27 23

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Now finding new targets, Katerina peeks out the window she is next to and fires on the closest approaching enemy.

[sblock] Okay, so not having done this before in this edition... I have two pistols, just one shot a round for one pistol? 1d10 damage? [/sblock]

Unsung

First Post
Caillou makes a croaking, cooing noise, evidently pleased. His right hand dips into his left sleeve and comes up with another tiny pouch. Loosing the strings, he digs out a slimy gray thing, the size and shape of a pea. It glints in the darkness, and it is just possible to make it out as the black of a tiny eyeball.

Caillou's crow-like beak snaps once, piercing the grapelike flesh, the pieces of which fall to the floor. The bokor intones a filthy rhyming couplet in French gutter slang, and places his eye to the window again, waggling his fingers as he lets the curse settle on the the windbag D'avard.

Gunner Teague ducks under the window frame as it splinters around him. Waiting for the shots to die down, he pops up, squints to gauge the spot where D'avard is standing, and fires down the field at him with one pistol, before crouching back down.

The rafters creak overhead, as Lorelei and Verner carefully get into position on the floor above.

OOC: [roll0] necrotic damage!

Dexterity (Stealth) check to remain hidden, +5 = [roll1].

Bonus Action - casting hex on D'avard using a 1st level slot (3/4 remaining). He'll take 1d6 extra necrotic damage from my attacks and suffer disadvantage on checks with an ability of my choice (so let's say Dexterity) for as long as I maintain concentration.

Action - casting chill touch on D'avard, +6 vs AC = [roll2], 1d8+1d6 = [roll]1d8+1d6[/roll] necrotic damage on a hit.

Lorelei and Verner will wait until D'avard's men get close enough for the high ground to make a difference. The hope is that with all the attacks coming from ground floor, the besieging crew won't think to worry about the upper windows until it's too late.

Remove ads