• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Disruption

NewfieDave

First Post
What are the rules (if any) for disrupting spellcasting in 4e? I assume casting a spell still provokes opportunity attacks from adjacent enemies, but do you lose the spell if you're hit? Are there rules like Concentration in 3.X?

Incenjucar

Legend
NewfieDave said:
What are the rules (if any) for disrupting spellcasting in 4e? I assume casting a spell still provokes opportunity attacks from adjacent enemies, but do you lose the spell if you're hit? Are there rules like Concentration in 3.X?

Honestly, outside of maybe ranged/melee differentiation, I'm not sure we need this anymore.

NewfieDave said:

No, one of the designers said that concentration was essentially just a skill tax on spellcasters.
Many spells still provoke (it depends on range), and there are likely to be abilities based off disrupting things, but not as a base mechanic, no.

NewfieDave

First Post
small pumpkin man said:
No, one of the designers said that concentration was essentially just a skill tax on spellcasters.
Many spells still provoke (it depends on range), and there are likely to be abilities based off disrupting things, but not as a base mechanic, no.

Good. I'm tired of being the only person in my 3.5 group who can remember the rules for defensive casting, disrupting spells, etc.

Hopefully Counterspelling, if it exists at all, will also be better implemented. I can't remember a single spell being countered in all my days playing 3.X.

aaronm

Explorer
Races and Classes

According to Races and Classes, it will be harder for Wizards with adjacent enemies to cast spells (paraphrased).

I haven't seen anything more than that.

FadedC

First Post
Well ranged attacks draw an AoO and most spells are ranged attacks. I'm guessing that if touch spells still exist then they don't draw AoO's.

Incenjucar

Legend
Hopefully they'll have melee-ranged spells for wizards that are designed to give them a chance to run for cover. Shocking Grasp with a chance to Immobilize would be great.

Stalker0

Legend
We know that close ranged spells for wizard do not provoke AOOs, but other ranged spells do. That combined with the fact that defenders like the fighter can prevent you from retreating and I don't know if spell disruption is truly needed. Though if they do have a counterspell system in 4e I hope its a heck of a lot better than 3e's was.

Last edited:

vagabundo

Adventurer
NewfieDave said:
Good. I'm tired of being the only person in my 3.5 group who can remember the rules for defensive casting, disrupting spells, etc.

Hopefully Counterspelling, if it exists at all, will also be better implemented. I can't remember a single spell being countered in all my days playing 3.X.

I remember on my first read through of the 3.0e phb, I though "counterspelling, cool!!", but it was never used. It was too finicky. I was disappointed, in my head i visualised mages battling each other to a standstill, wrestling with magical energies....

Like a load of other 3e rules, it just fell by the wayside.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
They could do counterspell like this:

Counterspell
Wizard Utility

You call upon arcane forces to unravel the delicate fabric of your enemy's spell, preventing it from taking shape.

Daily * Arcane, Implement
Immediate Interrupt
Ranged
Target: One creature
Attack: Int vs. Will
Hit: You negate another caster's spell or prayer as it is being cast. The power is used up as if cast, but has no effect.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads