• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell duration clarification

nak9788

First Post
I need a quick clarification about a spell's duration. Say you cast a spell that has a duration in number of rounds (lets say 5 rounds for argument sake). Lets also say that you lost initiative and therefore act last in the round. When you cast the spell, per the rules of attacking with spells (as far as I understand them), you cannot attack in the same round as you cast the spell.

So, does that mean that the spell's 1st round of duration end when your turn ends (and therefore the round ends)? This would basically make the spell effective for only 4 rounds (assuming its not a quickened spell of course) since you spend your 1st round casting the spell. If the 1st round of duration ends at the beginning of your next turn, then it would still only basically be effective for 4 rounds (maybe 5 if it is a defensive spell of some sort).

I know some spells (like Monster summoning) say they can attack the next turn, but if I am reading the rules right, a 1st level character casting Monster summoning I, would do no good since the animal would vanish at the end of the round.

Am I reading this right or am I completely wrong?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The duration ends just before your next turn.

So if you cast Flaming Sphere at CL3, you use a standard action in round 1, the sphere appears, and potentially attacks an opponent. In round 2, you can use a move action to control the sphere to attack. In round 3, you can use a move action to control the sphere to attack. Just before your turn in round 4, the sphere disappears.

With Summon Monster I at CL1, you start casting in round 1, but since it's a one round casting time, the casting is not complete until just before your turn in round 2. Thus, the one round duration of the spell is from just before your turn in round 2, until just before your turn in round 3... allowing the monster one turn in round 2 with which to attack.

A spell like Daze, for example, dazes someone for one round. You cast it in round 1 with a standard action, and he's dazed until just before your turn in round 2. So your allies can take advantage of the effect, but in most cases, you can't...

-Hyp.

FireLance

Legend
A spell's duration generally lasts from your turn in the round until just before your turn in the round that the spell ends.

For example, if you cast color spray and your target is stunned for 1 round, he will remain stunned until just before your turn in the next round of combat. This generally means that you cannot take advantage of his stunned condition, but your allies can, as they either act after you in the current round or act before you in the next.

Remove ads