• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Focus - Which School To Pick

What School Do You Take The Spell Focus Feat In?

• Abjuration

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Conjuration

Votes: 28 17.3%
  • Divination

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Enchantment

Votes: 67 41.4%
  • Evocation

Votes: 85 52.5%
  • Illusion

Votes: 32 19.8%
  • Necromancy

Votes: 29 17.9%
  • Transmutation

Votes: 32 19.8%

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Illusion actually has the earliest, best "save or goodbye" spells, from color spray to phantasmal killer (earliest save-or-die).

I chose Illusion and Enchantment, but looking back, should have picked Conjuration as well. The Conjurations with saves aren't very many, but they are all awesome spells: glitterdust's secondary effect, stinking cloud is just fantastic, and let's not forget cloudkill... and of course, the planar binding spells allow a Will save to negate. There's also maze.

Finally, Spell Focus (Conjuration) allows access to Augmented Summoning, which is quite useful.

And if you're a Cleric or Druid, don't forget that your Cure spells are Conjuration. When you're using these spells to fight the undead, a higher save is nice, since they're usually strong in Will.

Cheers, -- N

catsclaw227

First Post
I said enchantment and evocation. In the game I GM, there is a beguiler with Spell Focus (Enchantment)and Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment), her spells have crazy DCs.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Overall the top four are

Evocation
Enchantment
Transmutation
Illusion

If you choose the right spells.

Abjuration, Conjuration and Divination are a total waste, excpet for a very very few spells (And none in Divination I can figure out)

But I voted Evocation as I usually tkae Enchantment as a prohibited school and do not tkae transmutation or illusion spells that require saves.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I put spell focus conjuration - not because it's the best, but because I see it the most because it's a prerequisite for a number of feats and prestige classes.

Cheers,
=Blue

Remove ads