• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell for Getting Past Damage Reduction

Panask

First Post
Is there a spell (in the PHB or elsewhere) that causes a weapon to be treated as magical, silver, cold iron, aligned, etc. (probably just one, chosen when the spell is cast) for the purposes of getting past a creature's damage reduction? I seem to remember it, but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Panask
Servitar to Baldur

parasyte

First Post
Well, in the SRD there's Bless Weapon that Paladins can cast, bypassing /magic on evil creatures and aligning the weapon to be good. There's also Align Weapon that Clerics can cast, which can grant an alignment to a weapon. Nothing for Cold Iron/Silver/Adamantine, though.

Hof

Explorer
IDHTB right now, but I believe there is a Touch of Adamantine spell in the book of exalted deeds. Perhaps also a related spell for weapons, I'm unsure.

Krafen

First Post
You can use major creation to create an item made of adamantine, alchemical silver, or mithral for 1 round/level. It cannot make cold iron. While a craft check is required to make complex items, you might be able to get away with a heavy mace without the check.

Another option is a weapon enchantment from the Underdark book. I forget the name, but it allows you to choose what type of metal the weapon is composed of on command.

FireLance

Legend
Hof said:
IDHTB right now, but I believe there is a Touch of Adamantine spell in the book of exalted deeds. Perhaps also a related spell for weapons, I'm unsure.
Touch of adamantine gives a manufactured weapon the properties of an adamantine weapon. There is no equivalent for natural weapons.

Silvered weapon and silvered claw, also from the Book of Exalted Deeds, gives a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon respectively the properties of a silver weapon.

Earth hammer, from Races of Stone, is a swift action spell that allows a weapon to penetrate DR as adamantine, and increases its damage by one size category.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
the ability in underdark is called metaline or something to that effect. in conjunction with an arourim weapon from boed, you basicly have a unbreakable weapon that can become any type of metal. (it can break but can be fixed in a standard action with no loss of magic power to the wepaon)

also in the mini handbook thier is a spell called alighn fang and or weapon. It lets you make your weapon any type of moral and ethical alghnment.

Scharlata

First Post
Panask said:
IThanks in advance for your assistance.
Glad to be of service... ;)

• Undead Bane Weapon from Libris Mortis, p. 72; Clr 4/Pal 3: "...considered good-aligned..."
  • Vulnerability from the Draconomicon, p. 115; Asn 4, Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5. "...lowers ... damage reduction by 5 points..." (-10@11th; -15@19th)
  • Align Fang from the Miniatures Handbook, p. 33; Drd 3: "makes ... natural weapons g-/e-/l-/c-aligned ..."
  • Align Fang, Legion's from MH, p. 33; Drd 5
  • Align Weapon from the PHB, p. 197; Clr 2: "... makes a weapon g-/e-/l-/c-aligned ..."
  • Align Weapon, Legion's from MH, p. 33; Clr 4: "... functions like align weapon, except... multiple weapons..."
  • Angelskin from MH, p. 33; Pal 3: "... gains DR 10/evil and silver."
  • Remember: If you got DR, you can overcome the DR of certain creatures, IIRC.
  • Bless Weapon, Swift from MH, p. 34; Pal 1: "... functions like bless weapon..."
  • Demonhide from MH, p. 35; Blk 3: "... gains DR 10/cold iron and good."
  • Favorable Sacrifice from MH, p. 35; Clr 1: "... DR 10+/magic ..." Note that the Material Component is rather expensive!
  • Earth Hammer from Races of Stone, p. 162; Clr 5, Pal 3: "... as if it were ... adamantine."
  • Stone Fist from RoS, p. 163; Clr 2, Pal 2: "... if you are a dwarf ...your unarmed attacks ... as if ... cold iron ..."
  • Daggerspell Stance from Complete Adventurer, p. 145; Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 2: "... gain ... DR 5/magic."
  • Aspect of the Deity, + Lesser, + Greater from the Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 91; PrC var + Pal 4: "...gain DR 10/magic..."
  • Celestial Aspect from the BoED, p. 93; Sanctified 3: "...Armblade ... +1 holy ..." = good-aligned, as per the DMG, p. 225
  • Exalted Raiment from the BoED, p. 99; Sanctified 6: "... DR 10/evil".
  • Glorious Raiment from BoED, p. 99, PrC var: "... DR 5/evil".
  • Silvered Claws from the BoED, p. 107; Drd 1, Ran 1: "... natural attacks as silvered..."
  • Silvered Weapon from the BoED, p. 107; Pal 1, Ran 2: "single weapon or projectile ... into silvered ..."
  • Spear of Valarian from the BoED, p. 107; Prc var, Drd 5. Ran 4: "... silver spear .
  • Touch of Adamantine from the BoED, p. 110; Clr 6, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 5: "... weapon the properties ... adamantine ..."
Enjoy!

Last edited:

FEADIN

Explorer
And to add my (Ioun) stone:

There is no spell which can duplicate the effect of cold iron because it's a "spell resistant" material, superior cost to enchant, so it was not logical to have a spell duplicate that it is opposed to.
Edit: I read it on the site of wotc I think but I don't find it now.

SidusLupus

First Post
Er, doesn't Magic Weapon/ Magic Fang make attacks magical?

I don't see that anyone has mentioned it.

I know it's not a spell, but there's a feat in the draconomicon that lets you punch through the first 5 points of any DR and hardness, called sense weakness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads