• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell-like abilities and time

Anubus

First Post
The rules say that a spell like abilities take 1 standard action to "cast" unless otherwise stated in the abilities or spells description. I'm specifically wondering about dominate monster, like formian taskmasters for example. It's a spell like ability, but the spell normally takes 1 round to cast, but the creature isn't actually casting the spell, just producing the same affect, so does it take a standard action, or a round to "cast"?

Along the same topic, what about something with psionic dominate that has a duration of concentration, but it's a slaver race, like I think mind flayers have this psi like ability. Obviously it would be stupid for the duration to be concentration, but would it be permanent or what exactly?

glass

(he, him)
What is the question exaclty?

You acknowledge that spell-like abilities work like spells with respect to casting time, duration, etc. Are you saying that illithid and formians should be an exception? If so, I don't believe any such exceptions are noted, but I don't have my books in front of me, so I could be wrong.

glass.

JimAde

First Post
Just because a psionic race has the dominate ability, that doesn't mean that all their slaves are psionically dominated all the time. It's just something they can do when the slaves get uppity. :)

As to the "casting" time, here are two relevant quotes from the SRD:

SRD said:
Using a spell-like ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise

SRD said:
Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components).

So, no, I don't think these abilities should have longer "casting" times. They aren't spells and SLA's take a standard action unless otherwise specified in the ability description.

Anubus

First Post
Actually the SRD says "A spell-like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted otherwise in the ability or spell description", which is the source of my confusion. So does this spell like ability that duplicates a spell that takes 1 round to cast, take 1 round as the spell, or 1 standard action unless the spell like ability says it takes 1 round?

JimAde

First Post
I just looked at the SRD on the Wizards site (in TypesSubtypesAbilities.rtf) and it says:

Using a spell-like ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity.

It's in the description of "Spell-Like" under "Special Abilities."

Of course I'm just skimming. Where exactly did you see the quote you posted?

JimAde

First Post
Okay, but that text doesn't exactly match the text in the doc I got from WotC's site. Unfortunately I don't have my books here. Is the "or spell" verbiage in the actual book (and which book is it, MM?)

irdeggman

First Post
MM pg 315 has the governing text on spell like abilities.

In essence it says that “Using a spell-like ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so while threatened provokes an attack of opportunity, just as casting a spell.”

Note the use of the phrase, unless noted otherwise – which normally means in the specific description of the spell-like ability itself (i.e., in the entry for the monster).

Also check the Rules of the Game articles. While not RAW Skip did a very good job of putting together the various pieces from across rule books and Sage Advice with some explanatory text to attempt to make things clearer. IMO he got better at writing once he managed to get some real things in print (other than Sage Advice - see Cry Havoc for example).

From Rules of the Game - Spell-like abilities

Using a spell-like ability is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Sometimes using a spell-like ability can be a free action or a full-round action, or it can have an even longer activation time. However, it's a standard action unless the ability description specifically says otherwise. A creature using a spell-like ability can use all the tricks that a spellcaster can use to avoid that nasty attack of opportunity. The creature can take a 5-foot step before using the ability (so as to get out of a threatened area). The creature also can make a Concentration check to use the ability defensively

Last edited:

Markn

First Post
Summon Monster

If a creature has the abiliity to summon another creature like many devils\demons do, would the summoned creature go immediately after they summoner finishes his turn since it is only a standard action?

Remove ads