• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell-Like Abilities Template

Obergnom

First Post
Is there a template that allows adding spell-like abilities to creatures?

I prefer the 2nd Ed. way of creating Shamans and similar stuff for Monstrous races (add a bunch of spell like abilities, call it a shaman) but I have no idea how to balance that.

I think there was a template like that in the 3.0 Psionics Handbook (for psionic powers) but I have never seen something like that for spell-like abilies.

For example, I want to create a bunch of fire giant devil worshipers. Adding cleric levels will make much more powerful physicaly, which is not necessary, I just want them to be able to some cool spells (And I do not want them to only be able to cast 2nd level spells...)

moritheil

First Post
Obergnom said:
Is there a template that allows adding spell-like abilities to creatures?

I prefer the 2nd Ed. way of creating Shamans and similar stuff for Monstrous races (add a bunch of spell like abilities, call it a shaman) but I have no idea how to balance that.

I think there was a template like that in the 3.0 Psionics Handbook (for psionic powers) but I have never seen something like that for spell-like abilies.

For example, I want to create a bunch of fire giant devil worshipers. Adding cleric levels will make much more powerful physicaly, which is not necessary, I just want them to be able to some cool spells (And I do not want them to only be able to cast 2nd level spells...)

How about . . . half-fiend? That seems thematically apropos.

The template you were referring to earlier may have been phrenic. In 3.5, phrenic is alive and well.

Obergnom

First Post
I was thinking about a template that allows me to add any spell as a spell-like ability to a creature in a balanced way.

For example, adding Fire Shield 1/day and Fireball 3/day with a caster level equal to the creatures HD would raise it's CR by how much?

Scharlata

First Post
Obergnom said:
I was thinking about a template that allows me to add any spell as a spell-like ability to a creature in a balanced way.

For example, adding Fire Shield 1/day and Fireball 3/day with a caster level equal to the creatures HD would raise it's CR by how much?

Hi!

What about the spellstiched template? MM 2 or 3, IIRC.

Kind regards

Obergnom

First Post
after a long time of research (google :) ) I found a template that does what I was looking for.

Spellpowered Creature from the Book of Templates. (great book, btw)

It lets you add spells as a spell-like ability to a creature, and seems rather balanced to me. (You may add up to twice creatures HD in Spell levels. Paying double makes the ability usable 3/day paying triple at will or permanent.) CR goes up by 1 per 8HD the creature has. Max. Spell level is half creature level.

My Fire Giant Hellfire Cultists (I want to use Heart of Hellfire Mountain from Dungeon Mag as a level 12 Adventure) which are Disciples of Mephistopheles Level 7 (CR17) will be lesser (-4HD=-2CR) spellpowered Fire Giants, resulting in a CR of 10. (1/day Summon Bearded Devil (5 Spell levels), 1/day Fire Shield (4 Spell Level), 3/day Hellfire (8 Spell level), 1/day Weapon of Energy(fire) (3 Spell Level), 3/day flare(1 spell level) which is very close to the originals in style! I am quite happy :)

Remove ads