• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell like ability and Spellcraft

MensurB

First Post
Last night me and another player got into it, he was turning evil and started using spell-like abilities, he is a 12th level succubus from the savage species book, to prevent him from doing so I tried to use my spellcraft which has 19 ranks in it and my int mod is like a 7 or 9 plus I have a ring of spellcraft +32, I know that my plusses come to about 60. Anyways, we was saying that I should not be able to tell what spell (like ability) he was casting, because he is not really casting them. He says that he requires no components or anything to "cast" these abilities. Well first of all he called them supernatural abilities then he corrected himself. Also can I "identify" supernatural abilities with spellcraft. Don't tell me that the DM should have handeled this because it was his first time DM'ing and he said that he doesn't know. Anyways, in the end he said that I can't identify his spells.
So who was right?

DarkMan

First Post
I would say that you can identify WHAT he's doing, but only AFTER he's done it. Of course, there are other factors involved, like iniative and such.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
I think DarkMan has it right, because spell-like ability has no components, like a silent teleport. You cannot identify the effect before it is "cast", because you have no information to go on.

After the effect went off, you could attempt to identify the magic effect, at a DC of 20 + spell level. (Of course, if you have a gratuitous munchkin... er, I mean a ring of Spellcraft +32, you can probably leave your dice at home.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads