• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell-Like Ability confusion?

Mulkhoran

First Post
I've noticed that there seem to be a lot of people who think that having a spell as a Spell-Like ability means it takes only 1 standard action to use, no matter what spell it is.

However, the 3.5 PHB has this to say on the subject:

A spell like ability has a casting time of 1 standard action unless noted
otherwise in the ability or spell description.

The SRD, however, is not so clear:

Using a spell-like ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise, and doing so while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity.

Is there some other source that says (Sp) = Standard Action always? Is this a general confusion, or have I missed something, say in the FAQ?

PallidPatience

First Post
Both of those state that the use of a spell-like ability is a standard action unless the description of the spell-like ability under the PrC or creature state otherwise. That's the closest to Sp = Standard Action ALWAYS you're going to get.

This might help: All About Spell-Like Abilities (Part One), specifically this paragraph:
Using a spell-like ability is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Sometimes using a spell-like ability can be a free action or a full-round action, or it can have an even longer activation time. However, it's a standard action unless the ability description specifically says otherwise. A creature using a spell-like ability can use all the tricks that a spellcaster can use to avoid that nasty attack of opportunity. The creature can take a 5-foot step before using the ability (so as to get out of a threatened area). The creature also can make a Concentration check to use the ability defensively.

Mulkhoran

First Post
PallidPatience said:
Both of those state that the use of a spell-like ability is a standard action unless the description of the spell-like ability under the PrC or creature state otherwise. That's the closest to Sp = Standard Action ALWAYS you're going to get.

Actually, no, they don't. That's my point about the confusion. The PHB says:

That's my point. It looks like, from the core rulebook, if you have a Spell Like Ability that mimics a spell with a longer casting time, you have to spend the longer casting time to use it. And Skip's article just more directly contradicts what's in the PHB. If that text is wrong, why isn't it addressed in the article series or the FAQ?

sledged

First Post
Mulkhoran said:

I believe the Josh's point in posting that article, is that it explains and clearifies how spell-like abilities work, meaning that if something in the article contradicts what's written in the books, the article takes precident as if it were errata or a FAQ. So activating a spell-like ability is "a standard action unless the ability description" (not the spell discription) "specifically says otherwise."

I also noticed that the article says nothing of counterspelling spell-like abilities. Can they be countered? Does the fact that the spell-like ability lacks components make it impossible to ID using spellcraft (for the purpose of counterspelling)?

Brisk-sg

First Post
sledged said:
I also noticed that the article says nothing of counterspelling spell-like abilities. Can they be countered? Does the fact that the spell-like ability lacks components make it impossible to ID using spellcraft (for the purpose of counterspelling)?
Pg 180 of the 3.5 PHB says "Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled." Not sure about using spellcraft on them, but by reading the Spellcraft description I would assume you could, as you can identify spells already in affect, and strange or unique magical effects. A DM may want to up the DC by 5 though, as they won't be using any components.

hong

WotC's bitch
Mulkhoran said:

That's my point. It looks like, from the core rulebook, if you have a Spell Like Ability that mimics a spell with a longer casting time, you have to spend the longer casting time to use it. And Skip's article just more directly contradicts what's in the PHB. If that text is wrong, why isn't it addressed in the article series or the FAQ?

Skip's article in no way contradicts what's in the PHB. To find out how long it takes to use a SLA, you use the ability description. How do you find the ability description? By looking in the spell that the ability mimics.

sledged

First Post
hong said:
Skip's article in no way contradicts what's in the PHB. To find out how long it takes to use a SLA, you use the ability description. How do you find the ability description? By looking in the spell that the ability mimics.
No, spell description and ability description are two different animals. The ability description is included in the monster entry. The PHB says to look at both. The article doesn't say anything about the spell description in relation to the time it takes to activate the spell-like ability. It only says to go by the ability description.

hong

WotC's bitch
sledged said:
No, spell description and ability description are two different animals. The ability description is included in the monster entry. The PHB says to look at both. The article doesn't say anything about the spell description in relation to the time it takes to activate the spell-like ability. It only says to go by the ability description.
This is pointless pedantry. "Ability description" and "spell description" are not terms of art, and interpreting them as if they referred to different things in this context is unnecessary and absurd.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads