• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell like ability

kreynolds

First Post
Dr_Rictus said:
Note that the satyr's ability to use pipes is not a spell-like ability, so it wouldn't be expected to follow the formula for spell-like abilities anyway.

I didn't say it was a spell-like ability. The point is that the standard formula for supernatural abilities simply doesn't apply in this case. Also, as far as I can tell, when a supernatural ability so closely mimics a spell, it doesn't use the standard supernatural formula anyway. There's a few other monsters like this in the MM (can't remember which ones off the top of my head though).

kreynolds

First Post
Grazzt said:
You could always not make it a spell-like ability. Just make it a supernatural ability.

That doesn't inherently solve the problem (it depends on the ability in question). The satyr's ability is supernatural as well, but it doesn't use the Con formula.

Grazzt said:
That way its based off Con (by the rules).

By the rules? To be honest, I've never actually seen a rule that explicitly stated that all supernatural abilities use the HD + Con Mod formula (though I recognize that's the common theme for many supernatural abilities, such as dragon breath weapons, a fire elemental's burn ability, etc). Have you found one?

Last edited:

AEtherfyre

First Post
Some supernatural abilities are based off Charisma. The Succubus' Energy Drain is 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha, as is the Medusa's Petrifying Gaze.

As far as I can tell, there aren't any stat requirements for Spell-Like abilities, though I wouldn't want to make an absolute statement.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
As far as I can tell, there aren't any stat requirements for Spell-Like abilities, though I wouldn't want to make an absolute statement.

SLAs aren't limited by Caster Level - it's perfectly legal to have a monster who uses Fireball as a SLA with a Caster Level of 2.

(It's why Nymphs are freakily scary, if you read their description in careful conjunction with the SLA rules.)

The SRD doesn't give the full write-up for SLAs, so I'm not sure if the Monster Manual mentions ability minimums, but the Caster Level precedent suggests they probably don't need them.

-Hyp.

Remove ads