• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell-like effects after death

Jaxom

First Post
This question applies to spells and spell-like effects.
Even after a character drops to -1 hit points or below and is shortly brought back to 0 hit points or above, is that character still effected by spells or spell-like effects that were cast on him before he dropped into negative hit points? Taking into account the durations have not expired.

JChung2003

First Post
Yes, spells and spell-like effects continue to work on a player until he or she is dead (-10 hp or less). Note that some spells or effects don't require the target to be alive, e.g., magic that works just as well on objects as it does on creatures.

Drawmack

First Post

Yeah the guy would have to die and be resurected to get out of the spell and that might not fix all the spells.

However, if instead of healing him the clearic beats him about the head with a mace and then resurects him that will stop the effects of a lot of spells.

Jaxom

First Post
Drawmack said:

However, if instead of healing him the clearic beats him about the head with a mace and then resurects him that will stop the effects of a lot of spells.

A little extreme, but kinda cool especially the comment afterwards. "Sorry about the lost level, but at least the spell is gone right?"

Teleri_mm

First Post
What about Quest?

What if you have Quest cast on you and while performing the act specified in the spell you die... then some one raises you... would you still be under the Quest spell? This came up in my game and I ruled yes... but only because it serviced my needs at the time... which is never a good reason.

Teleri_mm

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Re: What about Quest?

Teleri_mm said:
What if you have Quest cast on you and while performing the act specified in the spell you die... then some one raises you... would you still be under the Quest spell? This came up in my game and I ruled yes... but only because it serviced my needs at the time... which is never a good reason.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, isn't Quest a divine spell? I doubt is going to let a mortal off *that* easy.

My general rule of thumb is that spells stick around as long as their motivating source does. For arcane spells, unless the caster has used XP to "seal" the magic (like Permanency or the item creation feats), it dies with him. For divine spells, the same is pretty much true, except deities tend to live a LOT longer than mortals.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads